lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
rac400
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger or something else

I have a power wise charger that will run for approx an hour before turning off. Car will run for maybe 15 min. before battery's are discharges. Battery are about 6 months old. Has anyone experienced this and what was the fix.

Thanks
rac400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Charger or something else

Please fully charge your batteries, wait several hours (12 is optimal), then test & post total battery pack voltage, & voltage of each individual battery here so we can assess them.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
bull7070
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am having the same problem!!! After I put the charger on it only charges for about 45mins to an hour. After the charger turned off I go to check each battery about 6 to 8 hours later and all six batteries average about 6.24 to 6.35. All batteries were replaced at the same time about 1 year ago. Any info would be great.
bull7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull7070 View Post
I am having the same problem!!! After I put the charger on it only charges for about 45mins to an hour. After the charger turned off I go to check each battery about 6 to 8 hours later and all six batteries average about 6.24 to 6.35. All batteries were replaced at the same time about 1 year ago. Any info would be great.
6.35 is really close to 100 % SOC but the 6.24 would worry me as that is under 80 % SOC so it sounds as though you need to check those battery closely for exposed plates and specific gravity and voltage per cell...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
bull7070
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you, I think my batteries are bad. After letting my batteries charge threw a full cycle and letting them sit for 12 hours I am only getting 6.0 volts at each battery. After reading reviews on this forum I realize I bought crappy batteries. They are the 6v Duracell from Sams. Don't judge me I was new to the golf cart community a year ago, lol. I just did not think they would go bad in just 1 year? It was just weird to me that for about 8 months my cart was riding great for a couple of hours at a time and now I can only go down the road and barely make it back? Do you think I am making the correct assessment about my batteries or do you think it could be something else?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you tried another charger on these batteries? What was the pack voltage right after the charger shut off?
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Charger or something else

I've had that same battery (Duracell) for three years with no issues. Do you keep them charged after each use or have they set with low voltage? That will kill any kind of battery.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
bull7070
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Have you tried another charger on these batteries? What was the pack voltage right after the charger shut off?
I have not tried another charger on these batteries. I have put the charger on when each battery is at 6.0 and waited by the charger to watch the amps and the amps started around 18 but dropped pretty quick. The charger went through the full cycle in about an hour and I checked each battery after and had reading from first battery to last battery (6.86, 6.75, 6.89, 6.79, 6.82, 6.85). Then I went through each battery again and I could literally see each battery dropping in voltage. I then let the batteries sit for an hour and when I check again I had an average on each ranging from 6.13 to 6.21. Thanks for the help!!

Side Note: when I purchased this golf cart nothing worked, it is a complete rebuild. I replaced the board in the Charger and it seemed like it was working fine. I have replaced the Motor, Speed controller, 400amp soleniod, and battery cables from D&D motors. I also replace the micro switches for forward/reverse and a voltage reducer for my accessories.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
bull7070
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I've had that same battery (Duracell) for three years with no issues. Do you keep them charged after each use or have they set with low voltage? That will kill any kind of battery.
I always put my cart on charge when I am done with it. But I did go without riding for about 3 weeks and the charger was plugged in but it seems that it never comes on again after going through a full cycle. I have to unplug it and plug it back in when I need it to turn back on. I have a PowerWise charger. Are those chargers supposed to turn on and off by themselves?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Powerwise are not float chargers and do not recycle by themselves. They have to be disconnected from the cart to reset..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO