lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1983 ezgo gas

I got it running for a brief moment but then noticed smoke coming from under the carb. I think I may have burned up the pulsar coil.
Yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #22
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

F&R Part ?

Based on your suggestion, I am going to replace the F&R switch and was wondering if this was the correct part?

http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf...models%29/5056
Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #23
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I never suggested replacing anything yet.

Just a good clean up. We have no idea if anything is wrong, or needs replaced.

The pulsar is buried under the flywheel. Smoke from it would go through the fan shroud. You would never see it.
I highly doubt that it burned up.

Start with a good cleaning.

In post #8 I said that your FWD & REV switch is operating normally. It's doing what it's supposed to do.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #24
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

Making progress.

We got it running again last night - reverse only but it is a good start. I unbolted the F&R ( wires are still connected ) and there are small wires on back that are not connected to anything.

Is there anyway you can send me a couple photos of the wiring on your cart ( or another resource ) of the front / back of the forward & reverse switch and the accelerator microswitch? I have studied the wiring diagrams and I don't have a clue what I am looking at.

The good news is that I traced all the wires and have a rough idea what they are now.

My kids also found the exact cart at a boat club south of pittsburgh and hoping we can track down the owner next week.

We are making good progress and we can not thank you enough for your help! owe you frosty beverages once we hit the road.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

Starter Motor ?

We were so excited to get the cart started on the first turn of the key this afternoon and it was running awesome in both forward and reverse after we cleaned the switch. THANKS !

However our joy came to a sad and abrupt end. When we took the cart off of the jack stands it would not turn over as if the battery was dead. The battery is charged, starter belt is tight and we do not understand why it would start when on jack stands but not on the ground. Is this an indicator that the starter motor is bad?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #26
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Your F&R switch is actually 2 different switches. The 4 big wires are on a rotating switch that determine which way the starter will turn.

The small wires are connected to a micro switch that turns on the backup buzzer when you put it in reverse. There is an indentation on the rotating switch that activates the micro switch.

It's the same kind of micro switch that is on the pedal. You really need to get that pedal switch working. I also suspect that you have an intermittent key switch. It needs a good cleaning. I replaced mine with a toggle switch.

I will get some colored ty-wraps, and take some pictures of my brother's 83.

Not starting after coming off of jacks.
Did the solenoid click?
Did it hesitate, or completely dead?
I suspect loose wiring, dirty connections, or intermittent problem with key switch.

You should also load test your battery.
Put a meter on your battery lugs. It should read 12.7 volts or better.
Make it turn over. voltage should only drop about a volt.
If it drops down to 9.6v, or less, the battery failed the load test.

If there is anything wrong with the starter, it is most likely brushes, or dirty connections. That thing looks like it was parked on the Mon Wharf during a spring flood.

There are square rubber plugs in the starter. Pop one out, pry the spring to the side, and lift out a brush. There is a line engraved in the side to show how much wear there is. Don't break the wire.

Concentrate on getting that pedal switch connected.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #27
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This diagram might be easier to read. Start at the positive battery cable. What they call the limit switch is the pedal switch that you need to connect. The NO inside the switch means normally open. The C means closed when you step on the pedal.

http://www.lindamaki.com/1983-ez-go-...oubleshooting/

You will notice that some of the lines are a heavier black. Those are the big wires for the battery, starter, and F&R switch.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #28
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

It hesitates to turn over as if battery is almost dead. If I keep the key turned on long enough or have the kids push it will try to start turning over but doesn't make it. When we picked it up it ran but stalled going up a hill and onto the trailer.

The bathtub would have been a spa retreat for this buggy. I picked it up 8 years go for free and my brother was supposed to redo it for his putting around green cover boat club. My father stole it and gave it to a watering hole friend and it was sent to the farm.

My son is driving me crazy this summer and the cart made its way back to me so I could find something for us to work on together and keep him busy. So far so good. He is a dreamer and wants a lift kit, led, sound system, custom paint... He and his sister are planing to have a lemonade stand to raise the funds. ha ha ha

He sanded off all the paint and is working on the dents. We are going to paint it with army green truck bed liner to hide the imperfections of his bodywork skills and paint everything else flat black.

Are you located in the burgh?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #29
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm from Ohio. My Mother is from Duquesne / West Mifflin. All of my relatives are there.
I work at the airport.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #30
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

Small world. I live in Pittsburgh but work in Youngstown.

I cleaned the starter generator connections and found a loose bolt and got it running for a short trip before it wouldn't turn over again. Reverse ran great but struggled to start when going forward.

The brushes look like they need replaced ( attached ) but I might just buy a new starter if I am still having issues after I replace the key ignition today.

Hopefully the accelerator switch arrives today as well.

Thanks for agreeing to send me photos of the wiring for the switches !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO