lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
ganate
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Where to go from here?

Hi. First post but I'm a long time lurker.

What I have:
93 Marathon
6 inch lift
23 inch all terrain tires
6-6v batteries
0 gauge wiring
NPX 4834 alltrax controller
Stock motor
Old timer style charger
Rear seat with trailer hitch
Cart does about 10-12mph
As low as 7-8mph on hills and loaded

What I would like to do:
Go to 48v
Lift, tires and wheels will stay the same
Used almost all paved roads in my neighborhood
Very seldom will see off road other than a grassy area
Be able to be loaded with 4 people and pull a light trailer(500 lbs loaded)
The area has medium size hills with one pretty steep one(traveled frequently)
Cart will do the steep one now, even pretty loaded but, slowly

I'm pretty handy. I will do everything myself. The cart was like this when I bought it minus the wiring and the tires(it had 25 inch mud tires on it).

So long story short: I need more torque than speed but would like speed too. I understand I can't really have both but 20+ mph would be awesome. Would like to do this in stages to make it easy on the pocketbook and stay married. But also don't want it to be down in between stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ganate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to go from here?

The first thing I would do is swap that NPX controller out because they were not designed for lifted carts, but I will let ScottyB guide you to the best parts for your cart.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This cart can do what you ask but you may have to go at it step by step to keep the peace at home.

Rabbit's right - use the new SR48400 control and SW180 solenoid for 48v. 2g cables throughout. HD F&R switch. DPI 48v Accusense charger. 6/8v batteries. Admiral B1 motor for just above 20 mph and about 3-4 Xs the original torque.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

2g cable set and HD F&R (EZ575) is the first step. This is the ground work or amperage delivery pathway for the increased power to come.

Next you are ready for a SR control and dual voltage 400a MZJ type solenoid (this allows 36v now and 48v later)

Next step is the 48v operation, 6/8v batteries drop right in the OEM racks and the 48v DPI charger can be gotten with the plug to fit your Marathon... and last is the B1 motor addition

You will find the stock motor (if in good shape) will run out pretty good on the new system and 48v.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Carboncopy
Not Yet Wild

Why would he go 2 Guage cable when has 0 now?
Carboncopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
ganate
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the quick responses! Scottyb, I looked up the controller that you recommended on Alltrax's site and saw that it is rated at 400 amps. Any harm in going 500 or 600 amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ganate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboncopy View Post
Why would he go 2 Guage cable when has 0 now?
Because the 0 gauge cables on the car could be any type of wiring.

Whereas Scotty knows exactly what type of wire is used in his cables and the quality they are made from.

Personally I have replaced many a thick stranded 0 or 00 cable with 2 gauge simply because I know the welding wire I use is of a higher quality than the crap I am replacing.

On a side note, this is your second post and both times now you are questioning people that have decades of experience working on carts.... Are you trying to pick a fight?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Because the 0 gauge cables on the car could be any type of wiring.

Whereas Scotty knows exactly what type of wire is used in his cables and the quality they are made from.

Personally I have replaced many a thick stranded 0 or 00 cable with 2 gauge simply because I know the welding wire I use is of a higher quality than the crap I am replacing.

On a side note, this is your second post and both times now you are questioning people that have decades of experience working on carts.... Are you trying to pick a fight?
why would you say that? all he is doing is asking a question.....and obviously doesn't know the answer. Which is why he ask..........geeeeez
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The SR48500 control I initially suggested is no slouch, it has a peak output of 460 amps and sustained outputs equal to an older AXE 500 at 2 and 5 minutes.

There is no problem going bigger. We use the SR48500 with all our aftermarket Series motor kits. SR48500 has a peak output of 570 amps. Series motors can take the higher amperage
Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
why would you say that? all he is doing is asking a question.....and obviously doesn't know the answer. Which is why he ask..........geeeeez
I have to agree.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO