lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
risk
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rebuilt KF82 Engine Source

Sent it to J & M.

Bad experience.. I Do not recommend them unless you like getting cussed out on the phone after they forget to send you your parts.
risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk View Post
Sent it to J & M.

Bad experience.. I Do not recommend them unless you like getting cussed out on the phone after they forget to send you your parts.
Yikes!
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

I recently looked into it because mines knocking. The answer I found by searching the forums is that the connecting rod and crankshaft needs to be replaced for the proper fix. Many people have replaced just the rod but the knocking quickly returns from the worn crank. There isn't over sized rods available either. Most rebuild kits include a new rod but not the crank. The rebuild kits with a new crank that I found were $600+, which tells me the engine rebuilders are likely reusing crankshafts.

The decision comes down to spending $600+ in parts plus machine shop labor to rebuild it yourself, spending $700ish on a rebuilt engine with questionable parts (plus costs to ship your core back), or spending $625ish on a Honda clone engine with Vegas Carts mounting parts to do it right.

My decision was to do ditch the KF82 for a Honda clone. The swap is about a week away.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
risk
Not Yet Wild

Well my old man was hell bent on keeping it original.. Even though we had a 10hp briggs electric start on an old chipper shredder that would have worked good.

When I initially talked to J&M on the phone, they said a 2-3 day turnaround time. I also asked if it was ok to send the old motor with the clutch, since we didn't have the removal tool. They said no problem, we'll pull the clutch and send it back no charge. Cool, right?

2-3 day turnaround time turned into two weeks.. not what was promised but no big deal.

Then we got the motor back and they had kept our clutch bolt, didn't include intake and exhaust gaskets as promised.. ok, honest mistake I called and they said they would send the gaskets and bolt asap.

A week later I call back and they say oops forgot to send it, we'll get it out.. I said can you send it priority mail? my dad is handicapped and we use the cart for getting him around car shows and swap meets, theres a big one this coming weekend.. we really need the cart going by then.

Then he says ok, if I wanna pay the shipping..

I say I shouldn't have to pay it, its your mistake.. This is when things get bad.. Now he cops an attitude. Tells me he doesn't have time for this, I shouldn't have sent the motor with the bolt, etc etc.. then goes on to say I should jump in my car and drive there and he'll show my a$$ a thing or two.. then more cussing and rudeness... So I'm done with J&M. Once they get your money they are done... I was so mad I could have spit nails!

J&M =

So... I found a clutch bolt and gaskets at a local dealer and am installing the motor tomorrow. Lets just hope it runs good cause I sure don't want to try for any warranty work!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

That's horrible. I really hope it runs good for you so you don't have to deal with them anymore. On the positive side, you should still be in the black for the cost of everything compared to the resale value of the cart. Good running gas Club Cars bring a premium in my state.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
risk
Not Yet Wild

Got a clutch bolt from a local dealer.. wrong one.

Then I checked the mail and J&M finally came through and sent a clutch bolt.

WRONG ONE AGAIN!!

I ended up ordering a reverse threaded one from buggies unlimited.

Maybe the cart will run again one day!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Nope! you should have asked before ordering!
The reverse threaded drive clutch bolt is ONLY for Clockwise rotating engines! (97+ FE290's & 350's)

Your bolt should be 3/8-24 x 5-1/2" standard threads,
if the bolt doesn't start and easily turn in, you may have a boogered thread in the end of crank, it's nothing a 3/8-24 tap couldn't easily fix!

If by chance... (and a really BIG IF...) the bolts you got from J&M and the dealer, slide in the hole without utilizing the threads in the crank,
it's possible that the crank could have been re-tapped, then you'll need a cheap tap set to find out what size it was tapped to.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
risk
Not Yet Wild

Looking at the crankshaft I can visually see that the threads are reverse. So does this mean that J&M put the wrong crank in my engine? Is this even possible? This cart is cursed..
Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Just double-checked both my cranks from my parts bin (one from an '87 and one from a '90 KF82) and they are both standard thread. Never heard of one being reverse thread.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
...Never heard of one being reverse thread.
Yup!

The reason for the reverse thread on clockwise engines is so the bolt won't work it's way loose with centrifugal force.
and I've never heard of a clockwise rotating KF82!

I guess we'll soon see!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car