lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Barbersboy
Getting Wild

Default Front leaf springs worth replacing?

Hello. I have a 2002 EZGO txt no lift and no plans to lift it. I installed 20x20x10 AT tires and noticed they are really close to rubbing up front. Could new springs help prevent rubbing? Do you think they wear out in time and sag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barbersboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front leaf springs worth replacing?

If you're talking new springs that are longer than your stock ones then yes that is the ticket. I did this to my '92 which had 17" stock length springs and put some 19" ones on and that stopped all my rubbing. It didn't change the steering geometry or anything, just had to re-center the steering wheel.

What your springs are in length now I'm not familiar with or what's available for that matter but if you can find some longer then what you have that'll fix it.
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Barbersboy
Getting Wild

You can do that?

Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbersboy View Post
You can do that?

I did it with mine with no problems.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...f-springs.html

Now I would THINK you'd be capable with yours too even though it's 10 years newer than mine.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I could be wrong, but I believe barnsworth is referring to a Marathon. The newer Marathons have shorter springs than older Marathons. A 2002 would be a TXT. The TXT already has a longer spring and all of them are pretty much the same length. However, the TXT thru 2001.5 mount the spring to the bottom of the axle. If your spring mounts to the top of the axle you might get some lift by mounting the 1996-2001.5 front spring. But I don't know if they fit your cart.

Springs wear out. Your 16 year old springs could be sagging and causing the problem. Or you could add a 1" spacer between your front springs and the mounting pads on the frame.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe barnsworth is referring to a Marathon. The newer Marathons have shorter springs than older Marathons. A 2002 would be a TXT. The TXT already has a longer spring and all of them are pretty much the same length. However, the TXT thru 2001.5 mount the spring to the bottom of the axle. If your spring mounts to the top of the axle you might get some lift by mounting the 1996-2001.5 front spring. But I don't know if they fit your cart.

Springs wear out. Your 16 year old springs could be sagging and causing the problem. Or you could add a 1" spacer between your front springs and the mounting pads on the frame.
Yes I was. I didn't know the length of the springs that are on the TXT. They appear similar to the Marathon and figured IF they were shorter he could possible fit an earlier Marathon spring. :)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
Barbersboy
Getting Wild

Update: HD front leaf springs fixed my issue with sagging and tire clearance. New problem.....I installed my backseat (after I installed the front springs) and I noticed when I sit in the back seat the body is **** near rubbing on the tire. Ugh!! I installed coilovers on the back to prevent this! I’m 190 and another adult will probably hit the body. Any ideas? Is the HD spring on the back my only option? I’m so sick of working on this thing...

Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #8
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, you installed larger tires without a lift. That could require more spring rate on the back than the coilovers provide with a rear seat kit. It is tough to change one thing without having to change other things too.

Your rear springs could be worn out or not up to the job with more weight on the rear. And with bigger tires taking up fender space. If you install HD rear springs you may not want the coilovers.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #9
Barbersboy
Getting Wild

I know I know.... I just thought the coilovers would do the trick. How much of a job is it to replace those back springs with dual rated springs?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #10
Barbersboy
Getting Wild

Also would it be a big problem to just leave the Coilovers on there with new HD springs? Would you even notice they were there? They were a pain to install and I just want to be done with this thing. Thank you for the replies by the way.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO