lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
sub2010ss
Not Yet Wild

Default Help Identifying Engine

I have w well used FairPlay Golf cart. Im unsure of the year and could really use help trying to identify what I have. From what I can tell someone swapped the electric power plant for an EZGO gas engine. Im guessing its a 1996 era 295cc 4 stroke 2 cylinder.

After I identify this thing, I am trouble shooting several issues.

1st. Smoking, fouling plugs, low power, failure to start.
Ive changed oil, it was pretty contaminated. changed plugs, I'm using a replacement for what was in there, NGK BKR5E. These plugs also have fouled since. I got it good and warm and checked compression. Both cylinders are at 90# with and without oil in the cylinders. To me this would suggest a valve job is in order.

2nd. Failure to turn over when hot. Starter will not engage and spin when it has been drove for awhile. If left to cool down for about 5-10 minutes it will spin right up and start. Ive checked voltage drop across battery, cables and solenoid. everything is about .5-.6 volts with 12.5 initial battery voltage. When its hot, no voltage is available on the output of the solenoid. I do have about 8-9 volts at the positive side of the solenoid on the switched side. Also, the solenoid is not connected on the negative post? Im not sure if this is normal. I have replaced the solenoid and have same results.

Apparently I can't post links since I am new to the forum. this is where the pictures are located. ill try and make links either when I can or in the comments

imgur.com/a/0BVhq3a
sub2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help Identifying Engine

First off, if it has been run without that air filter the engine needs more than a valve job.

Second, always set the valve clearance to .004" before troubleshooting just about anything on the engine.

The correct NGK sparkplug is BPR4ES.

I don't know enough about the starter generators to help diagnose the hot starting issue.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
sub2010ss
Not Yet Wild

Good call. No I just have the air cleaner off to help troubleshoot. Wanted to see how bad it looked in there. Look for signs of oil. I have a tune up kit on order for what I think the engine is. Hopefully it all works as I expect not much changes with these. I’ll probably just end up pulling the engine and bringing it to a small engine repair shop for valve job and new guides. If that doesn’t do it. Have to try re ringing it. I can measure bores when I get it open.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Sorry, tried to post your motor but the picture is too large, it is a 4 stroke 2 cylinder pre MCI.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
sub2010ss
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Sorry, tried to post your motor but the picture is too large, it is a 4 stroke 2 cylinder pre MCI.
Great thank you! When I get link privileges Ill scale them down and post them. I just talked to the guy that builds my race engines and he said he can do me up with new valves, guides and springs for $100. Ill go that route and hope its not anything lower.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Here you go.. could be a 350 too. https://i.imgur.com/rZmjHeZ.jpg
Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
sub2010ss
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Here you go.. could be a 350 too. https://i.imgur.com/rZmjHeZ.jpg
That works! Any idea how to tell the difference between the two? Im guessing external accessories are all the same between the two?
Old 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub2010ss View Post
That works! Any idea how to tell the difference between the two? Im guessing external accessories are all the same between the two?
Usually a tag on the timing chain cover, but don't see one on yours.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
sub2010ss
Not Yet Wild

Right. I can't find anything on this. I have that serial number and production number but haven't been able to pull up any information on it. This is what happens when I let my wife go buy a golf cart for racing.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
sub2010ss
Not Yet Wild

Found my answer about which engine model I have. Theres a name plate on the front of the engine by the carb that says:
ROBIN ENGINE
MODEL EH29C
BU FUJI HEAVY IND
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO