lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 11:21 PM   #11
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart made a loud noise and stopped working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Your #1 is the comet 780 primary clutch. You would have to remove it from the engine and disasemble it to check for broken parts
Ah! The primary clutch is what looks a little "off" for some reason from my memory of it. Memories aren't perfect though, but I'm maybe 70% confident it's different looking.

I'm having trouble finding information on how to disassemble it though.

Am I able to just take the nut off the end and start disassembling or will pieces shoot out at me from the spring?

I found this post and this post which sound like I'm going to need to borrow a puller from the auto parts store.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I have it on jack stands now and the state just shut down the bars today so I'll have free time.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Your #1 is the comet 780 primary clutch. You would have to remove it from the engine and disasemble it to check for broken parts
I don't think that's a 780, I think it's a CVTech Series 06. Doesn't matter, same issue though

The frayed belt has got me stumped. In the video the primary engages, so I wouldn't think there's an issue there.

OP, are these parts brand new?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Please read:

TO REMOVE PRIMARY CLUTCH

Your primary clutch is a CVTech Series 06. To remove, all you need to do is loosen the bolt and remove the bolt, it will be pretty long. The clutch will just slide off. It's lined up on the crankshaft with a 1/4 keyway. Installation is the reverse.

Here's a video that shows "installation" of a similar clutch. I couldn't find one for removal. But it's pretty straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUWTLnbpAK8

I'm not sure at this point that you need to disassemble the primary clutch. I would like to see a video of the clutches fully engaging at full rpm. To do that, you'll want to replace that belt first. I'm thinking it's possible that you might just need a new belt and to line the engine up better.

In your first set of photos, it looks to me that the belt is not sitting straight in the primary clutch, it looks angled. That tells me that the engine is not straight. If the engine is sitting slightly crooked, that will make the belt rub in the clutches crooked. That will shred the belt.

Have you had this cart running and driving? How long? How old is the belt?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

TO REMOVE SECONDARY CLUTCH

I also think that white spring in the secondary clutch is part of the problem. Those springs are notoriously stiff and create problems. That spring needs to be changed out to a "stock spring", as in the spring that would come on the cart from the factory. Those springs are not expensive. Also, the red one you posted a pic of....don't use that spring either, it's as bad as the white one.

To change the secondary clutch spring, and to inspect for damage, you'll need a clutch puller tool. DO NOT try to do it with any other tool, you can break the clutch. This is the time that having the correct tool is the only way to do the job correctly. Watch this video for clarification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHgYOsYgh_s

Also, note in the video that there is a snap ring on the transmission input shaft. If that snap ring is removed, you MUST use the spacer shown in the video. It's common that the snap rings will break off, which is why the spacer is used. On your cart I don't see the spacer, so it might be that the snap ring broke off due to the pressure of the HD white spring.

If you have any doubts about doing this job, don't do it. Find a local golf cart mechanic.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

After you have removed, inspected, and replaced the clutches, and replaced the secondary spring with a stock yamaha version:

The next item is lining the engine up.

There should be 4 bolts underneath the engine that hold the engine to the engine mount. Those bolts can be loosened but not removed, and the engine should move around a little bit.

In this order:

1. Install new Yamaha brand belt (or Plowman's brand), or equivalent. Do not use the cheap ebay or amazon belts.

2. Pull the engine forward to tighten the belt up. At this point you are looking to make sure the primary clutch is perfectly lined up with the secondary clutch, and the belt is completely straight in the primary.

Get your tape measure out, use a straight edge, use a framing square, whatever you have to do to make sure it is perfectly lined up. If the engine is crooked, it could wear and shred the belt.

3. Tighten the engine bolts. Do not over-tighten or you'll strip the threads in the aluminum engine, very easy to do. I always use lock washers and fender washers.

4. With the rear wheels on jackstands, run and test the operation. Start slow to make sure everything looks right.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I now see by watching the video that is a Cvtech and not a comet 780 and from pics from VC it appears that the CVtech does not fully close like the comet 780. My mistake
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #17
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I don't think that's a 780, I think it's a CVTech Series 06. Doesn't matter, same issue though

The frayed belt has got me stumped. In the video the primary engages, so I wouldn't think there's an issue there.

OP, are these parts brand new?
The parts are not brand new, but they all look in pretty good shape on first look.

I've had the cart since about mid-March.

Is there a chance something from the road just got caught in the belt?

This is the first time I've ever had the belt off, so I don't know if any of this is new or old, but I did see some cuts in the primary clutch shaft. It could be a red herring though.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #18
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Please read:

TO REMOVE PRIMARY CLUTCH

Your primary clutch is a CVTech Series 06. To remove, all you need to do is loosen the bolt and remove the bolt, it will be pretty long. The clutch will just slide off. It's lined up on the crankshaft with a 1/4 keyway. Installation is the reverse.

Here's a video that shows "installation" of a similar clutch. I couldn't find one for removal. But it's pretty straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUWTLnbpAK8

I'm not sure at this point that you need to disassemble the primary clutch. I would like to see a video of the clutches fully engaging at full rpm. To do that, you'll want to replace that belt first. I'm thinking it's possible that you might just need a new belt and to line the engine up better.

In your first set of photos, it looks to me that the belt is not sitting straight in the primary clutch, it looks angled. That tells me that the engine is not straight. If the engine is sitting slightly crooked, that will make the belt rub in the clutches crooked. That will shred the belt.

Have you had this cart running and driving? How long? How old is the belt?
I've had the cart since mid-March and it broke early June. No clue on the belt age, but I had previously inspected it for cracks and it looked to be in good shape. Even now, it still seems in good shape except for whatever damaged it.

The marks on the primary clutch shaft make me think something was caught by the belt.

I bought this belt before reading your comments about not getting an Amazon one and it arrives today in the next few hours actually.

Primary/Secondary clutch alignment:

What exactly is supposed to be aligned? I took a picture and put a bunch of markers on it (inside/outside/front/back/etc) to make it easier to explain. I also put a flexible fish-rod as straight as I could get it to help.

Video - I just took that gives a better look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedHKwb4dY0 (I just uploaded so YouTube will have HD version shortly)

I think it used to be aligned correctly, and I agree it now looks out of alignment from what I'm used to seeing. The engine itself is mounted to a plate and secured to the frame, so I don't see how it could move at all (but I'm no expert).

Secondary Clutch - The rear secondary clutch looks connected directly to the transmission, which looks connected to the same stuff the engine is, so the only thing I could see moving on it is if it slides back/forth somehow.

Primary Clutch - This is what looks changed and unfamiliar to me. Again, I could be a total idiot, so don't let my hunches steer your thoughts too hard.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #19
ATrain
Gone Wild

I realize my formatting (bold, tons of quotes, etc) may appear obnoxious, so if it does, I'm just trying to make it easier to read, so please forgive.

Quote:
TO REMOVE SECONDARY CLUTCH

I also think that white spring in the secondary clutch is part of the problem. Those springs are notoriously stiff and create problems. That spring needs to be changed out to a "stock spring", as in the spring that would come on the cart from the factory. Those springs are not expensive. Also, the red one you posted a pic of....don't use that spring either, it's as bad as the white one.
It looks like this might be the exact spring (and I'd guess clutch) - https://www.golfcartking.com/jakes-p...4-g16-g19-g22/

The cart also has a Jakes Lift kit. The guy who did all the stuff may have just bought a bunch of Jake's parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHgYOsYgh_s
Also, note in the video that there is a snap ring on the transmission input shaft. If that snap ring is removed, you MUST use the spacer shown in the video. It's common that the snap rings will break off, which is why the spacer is used. On your cart I don't see the spacer, so it might be that the snap ring broke off due to the pressure of the HD white spring.

If you have any doubts about doing this job, don't do it. Find a local golf cart mechanic.
Is "Shaft Spacer" = "Spline Collar"? Pictured below from your video:

Pictured from my cart:

This looks missing from my cart, AND if it really is the same clutch from the Jake's kit...there is a "shaft spacer" included in the kit which appears missing.

Could it be that simple? The shaft spacer broke, shredded the belt and cut up the primary clutch shaft a little, and caused the "spring seat" and helix to recess closer to the transmission, putting everything out of alignment?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #20
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
After you have removed, inspected, and replaced the clutches, and replaced the secondary spring with a stock yamaha version:

The next item is lining the engine up.

There should be 4 bolts underneath the engine that hold the engine to the engine mount. Those bolts can be loosened but not removed, and the engine should move around a little bit.

In this order:

1. Install new Yamaha brand belt (or Plowman's brand), or equivalent. Do not use the cheap ebay or amazon belts.

2. Pull the engine forward to tighten the belt up. At this point you are looking to make sure the primary clutch is perfectly lined up with the secondary clutch, and the belt is completely straight in the primary.

Get your tape measure out, use a straight edge, use a framing square, whatever you have to do to make sure it is perfectly lined up. If the engine is crooked, it could wear and shred the belt.

3. Tighten the engine bolts. Do not over-tighten or you'll strip the threads in the aluminum engine, very easy to do. I always use lock washers and fender washers.

4. With the rear wheels on jackstands, run and test the operation. Start slow to make sure everything looks right.
I'll wait to hear your thoughts on my other comments before I start taking everything apart in case some new info changes anything, especially before I start messing with the engine alignment because it seems like it was mounted pretty good and aligned at one point.

I posted the image in another comment, but what exactly should be aligned? Is this referring to the primary/secondary clutch sheave being parallel? Or should the inner/outer sheave's be aligned in some way and also parallel? Or the centers of the shafts and the belt?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha