lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
B Mann
Not Yet Wild

Default Another G9 won't charge question.

Lets start with. A friends neighbor dropped this Yamaha gas G9 cart off. I can fix all kinds of things but sometimes need help. He has had it to 2 cart shops and they cannot figure it out. This thing has had a few hands in it. Ok...

Battery voltage is low, 11 volts (needs a charge, but cart still runs) Pull out voltage regulator, and ground the green lead on generator. The battery voltage will drop to about 10 volts. Unground and battery rises back to about 11 volts.

Generator red wire and red wire at voltage regulator is getting 12 (well 11ish) volts.

Ohm out generator between red and green wires and get about 5 ohms. Interesting if I test green lead to ground (looking for a shorted winding) I get infinity. If I ohm out the red lead I get about 50 ohms and meter is bouncing around a bit. Capacitor in generator?? Unlikely. Pinched wire?? Both tests with harness disconnected.

Ok, now comes a question. The F2 on the generator is grounded and the A1 is going to the starter solenoid. The wiring diagram I have found is the opposite. F2 goes to solenoid and A1 grounded.... before I start swapping things I want to confirm.

Also there is a jumper from F1 to A2 on the generator. I do have a spare "new" generator it also has the jumper from F1 to A2 also. It was a purchased by the owner, he said it did not fix the problem, and he was not able to return it.

Should F1 or A2 be the ground? or does it matter??

Thanks
B Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
B Mann
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Another G9 won't charge question.

No replies yet... but after some searching and several wiring diagrams it looks like the wires are reversed. Will give it a swap. It looks like A1 should be grounded. and F2 should go to the solenoid.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Aftermarket starter/generators often discharge, instead of charge your battery. Feel free to swap the small red & green wires to see if it solves the problem. I've had to do this a few times to fix "customer says just put a new starter/generator in, and it wont charge".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
B Mann
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Aftermarket starter/generators often discharge, instead of charge your battery. Feel free to swap the small red & green wires to see if it solves the problem. I've had to do this a few times to fix "customer says just put a new starter/generator in, and it wont charge".
Well, I corrected the ground and the solenoid wire on the starter side... Then I hooked up the red wire on the charging side... I shorted the green to ground and noticed the voltage perk up. Great!! I put in the voltage regulator and fired up the engine. Voltage is perking up. Another great... I put the charger on the battery. I hate to tax the little charging system on a very weak battery. I will check in a bit to see how it runs.

Just to pass it one to anyone else with troubles... Do not trust the wires you took off the old generator are in the same place on the new one. The casing can be flipped and the terminals are not the same. Read the stampings in the castings and double check. Of the 2 generators he had, one had the F2 facing the front, the other facing the rear.

Take care all and happy carting!!
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The gen is rated at 15A charge but will charge less at low rpm because its a generator. They will charge up a battery if you run it for a while without stopping. Glad you got it figured out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 03:08 AM   #6
Fanga NZ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
cgtech if you're still on here.

So I'm new to tinkering with an old g9 have just worked out the if I switch the red green wire the cart charges rather than discharges.

I take it from your old post that there is no issue with using this as a permanent fix? Thanks
Fanga NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha