lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default eco battery gen 2 conversion

Finally got wife to enjoy golf, so decided to build her a cart because of her bad knees. ( after new clothes, shoes, and clubs of course...) Picked up a 2008 36 volt EZ GO txt with newer batteries... or so I was told...not so much unfortunately... (note to self always carry ammeter...) oh well, lets get to tearing it down, everything else was gonna go anyway, deal with it later. Jump on the interwebs with wife, let point and choose what she wants, rack up the credit card and order everything...$$$. In the mean time, lets tear this sucker down!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg build 1.jpg (342.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 2.jpg (232.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 3.jpg (247.8 KB, 0 views)
nutsehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: eco battery gen 2 conversion

Yup let the games begin... just finishing testing on a roypow upgrade to my club car. The loss of weight makes huge difference...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

(sorry for the sideway photos,dont know how to remedy it)
Pull out old batteries, controller, solenoid, wiring, wheels & tires. suspension, steering wheel, windshield, etc.etc. for new upgrades. We agreed that she could choose cosmetics, but I got to choose powertrain. Steleng 6 inch coilover lift, 23 inch tires and wheels, Navitas controller and 400 Amp solenoid, new carbon graphite (wannabe) dash, 2 gauge green wiring throughout, reliant 12 volt reducer, and new 6 Volt batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg build 5.jpg (266.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 6.jpg (324.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 7.jpg (155.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 9.jpg (146.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 12:23 PM   #4
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Bolt on last of upgrades. seat covers, tinted windshield, steering wheel, stereo, under seat storage, dash, diamond plate running boards, rubber diamond plate mat and last, but certainly not least, cooler!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg build 10.jpg (233.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 11.jpg (196.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 8.jpg (241.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg build 4.jpg (363.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Now that we had it running we decided it needed a little more oomph. Having read about Scotty B adding a 7th battery to get to 42 volts, chose that direction. Threw in another battery, rigged a hold down system, added another 2 gauge wire, and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt, great set up and minimal effort and expense, outside of the 42 volt charger.... took it one step further and contacted Navitas to reprogram controller to give me what I wanted which was more low end torque as this beast doubles as workhorse towing a trailer materials on large job sites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 1.jpg (220.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg job site 1.jpg (289.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg job site 3.jpg (224.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg job site 4.jpg (386.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:04 PM   #6
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Fast forward a year, and I decide to upgrade to a 48 Volt Plum Quick Crocodile high torque motor an some sort a 48 Volt system. So, $1500 for Lead Acid, or $3000 for lithium? Decisions, decisions... Chose lithium, ordered an Ecobattery 48/105 package, and sat back to wait..and wait..and wait.. 2 months later get notice that order should be shipped with in 2 weeks, so pull cart back to the garage to begin conversion. Pull all 7 batteries and cables, notice that battery tray could definitely use a little clean up. Wire brush and powerwashing reveals battery tray to be in overall good shape. Yahoo! ( did not want to have remove/ replace another battery tray in this process...)
Clean it up and begin to weigh my options..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 1.jpg (220.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 2.jpg (306.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 3.jpg (276.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Now when I ordered the kit, the 48 /105 was essentially 13x12x10, and knowing that I wanted to center mount the battery in the tray, made a plan to do so. I would cut out the OEM battery hold down loops in the middle of the battery tray along 13 1/4 inches on the center ridge to mount the battery between the cut area.. I would then reinforce the area with angle iron and a piece of unistrut to create my center post battery hold down. Grinder and Sawzall to the rescue! After hacking away the metal, I then utilized a flap wheel to smooth everything out. Threw a little rustoleum at it, fastened it all together with elevator bolts and nylocks. ( the elevator bolts allowed me to create a flat surface for the battery to ride on)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 5.jpg (220.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 6.jpg (534.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 8.jpg (258.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 12.jpg (226.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Now that this was for all intents and purposes dealt with and addressed, I decided to replace the OEM charging receptacle with a NOCO shore power 110 Volt receptacle so as not to have to lift the seat and under seat storage everytime to plug in the onboard charger. Pulled out the OEM receptacle and wiring being sure to keep the reed switch bypass wire to connect to the positive side of the battery. I had purchased a plexiglass mounting plate designed to cover the OEM EZ GO Txt receptacle hole and receive the NOCO shore power plug. Put them all together and got them mounted. Bingo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 4.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 9.jpg (168.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

At this time I decided to address an issue that had continually bothered me from the time that I mounted the Navitas 440 controller. This design had the consumer just using tie wraps to secure the run /tow switch to the wiring on the controller. ( the mount that was on the original controller did not fit over the Navitas controller) Using one of the original mounting holes for the stock curtis controller I fabricated 9 repurposed) a piece of metal that the switch would mount to and drilled it out to fit the switch. A little paint, blue loctite, and a 5/16 shoulder bolt and problem solved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg build 7.jpg (155.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg run tow switch.jpg (178.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
nutsehc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

At this point in the juncture I am feeling pretty confident that I have set myself up for an easy install and turn around upon receipt of the new battery and kit.
Area is cut out to receive the battery center mounted, battery tray has been reinforced for strength and my center bolt battery hold down will be created with a piece of plastic dipped all thread through my unistrut. Check!
My NOCO shore power cord / receptacle is mounted and ready to receive 110 volts to feed the on board charger through the front of the seat panel. Check!
Now all that is left to do is receive the kit from the LTL company, unpack everything, drop in the battery, mount the onboard charger in the extra space, and hook up all the wiring. Simple! Get a phone call that delivery is on the way yesterday afternoon, and life is good! My wife receives the package on a pallet, ( delivery guy was kind enough to leave an additional pallet in the garage for me to dispose of... Thanks very much....) Get home from work, begin unpacking, and something is very different than I had anticipated....It seems that I have received ECOBATTERY GEN 2!!!! ( Thunderclap here...) The gen 2 battery is the new "skinny battery that fits perfectly in either front or rear of an EZ GO txt WITHOUT any necessary modifications by the end user ....
Oh AND they included their own shore power to onboard charger mount and cord... I may just have gotten too far out in front of myself... Feeling pretty silly right about now, but am super happy to have the GEN 2 system! I will just have to make some changes from the process that I have spent 2 months dwelling over and over in my mind... No worries, will just proceed forward and adapt, adopt, and overcome!
More of the epic saga to follow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lithium conversion 13.jpg (215.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lithium coversion 14.jpg (197.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO