lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #1
Jvelella
Not Yet Wild

Default Backup Generator while driving?

Posted in the wrong spot so sending here:

I have an Icon I60L cart. My Town in FL is Street legal for golf carts. I was looking into the Lithium upgrades for more range but was wondering if I could strap a generator to the back of it and charge while driving for unlimited range. I have an extra Predator 2000W Quiet Generator laying around as well as a 1000W, and there is more then enough room on the rear if I remove the rear facing seat that we don't use.

I am also thinking about doing a Navitas controllers I don't know if that would help or hurt. But just seeing if any of you guys with more knowledge than me can chime in. I have days where I want to play 36 holes and I drive a few miles to and from the coarse as well. So this already is to much for my current batteries.
Jvelella is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Backup Generator while driving?

I must be missing something with your use case but from what I have seen online for your cart it should be able to manage 25miles of range in most use cases.

What kind of terrain are you dealing with and how long is the drive to/from the course?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
Jvelella
Not Yet Wild

The course is pretty hilly and not in great shape so its very bumpy, and some roads to get there and back. But there are days I will be going much more then 25 miles since my whole town is street legal for the cart. So I want to know if I can do the generator while running for certain days. There is a chance I could see 50-80 miles in a day.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think you would deplete the battery faster than you could recharge it while being used. You might just need to upgrade to a higher capacity battery and try to sell what you currently have.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #5
Jvelella
Not Yet Wild

Yes, but its not non stop driving. so as it sits and we eat lunch or whatever then it keeps charging.

I am more looking for is this possible than the reasons why I would like to do it.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:10 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I dont see why not, take a look at this post.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...postcount=9794

Well it amused me
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

EZGO used to make a unit with a gas generator on board called the EXCEED to extend range.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:27 PM   #8
Jvelella
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I dont see why not, take a look at this post.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...postcount=9794

Well it amused me
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Pretty much what I am looking to do. Also my brother inlaw goes out with his friends camping down some trails. The trails are only about 5 miles and not to harsh of terrain so I could bring this out there.

Really just want to make sure that If I bring a generator I would be able to charge while running and not have to stop for hours to charge back up.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
Jvelella
Not Yet Wild

Truly if it went really well id like to replace the 6 (8volt) batteries with 4 (12v) and and put a generator under the seat near them.

Looked into the EXCEED from ego and it had 150 mile range. More then I need but love the thought of that
Old 09-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Don’t purchase 4x12v lithium batteries, get one or more 48v batteries. There’s plenty of discussion on here as to why.

Lithium can be charged very quickly. Any size lithium battery can be recharged in 2 hours with the appropriate charger. (0.5C charging) They can also be topped up at any time.

There’s no technical reason for not adding a generator but I would be sizing the battery correctly to get you the 80mi range you require to begin with. Something around the 200Ah would do it.

You also say that it’s often stopped. Is there power available when it’s stopped? If so, you can just have a powerful on board charger that can dump another 20Ah into the battery in an hour or so while you have lunch. You could do more in an hour but you would have to find a power receptacle that can supply more power than a standard 110v receptacle can.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!