lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #1
Goldstripe
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 Yamaha G9 - First Golf Cart

Hello BGW forum! I'm so glad I found this forum and have already learned a lot about carts in the last couple weeks. I just picked up a 36 volt 1991 Yamaha G9 resistor cart a couple weeks ago and am exploring my options.

Aside from bad batteries and being dirty, it's in really good shape. I was able to separate the batteries temporarily and use a regular 6v/12v charger to get some juice in them; enough to drive the cart and for the charger it came with to work. It appears to be all original.

Knowing that I have to buy batteries, I'm considering all sorts of options, most of which involve stepping up to solid state 48v system. I want to add a back seat and put larger wheels and tires on it. I also like the ability to change speed/torque on the fly via bluetooth or a wired system that has a lock out. This way I can set the kiddos up to learn at less damaging speeds.

I've spoken to a local dealer / battery store along with a local mobile repair guy and they both advised it wasn't worth it and that i'd be chasing down new problems if I upgraded. My first thought was, aside from the diff / axles, what else could there be? They felt like the smarter path would be to clean it up, put fresh batteries in it, and sell it as is and use that money toward a newer cart. What's your opinion? I do worry about upgrading an old driveline with much more power. i'm not looking for neck snapping acceleration or top speed, just something more respectable than 12mph and the ability to carry 2 adults + 2 kids with larger tires / lift kit.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221003_185929.jpg (216.7 KB, 0 views)
Goldstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1991 Yamaha G9 - First Golf Cart

It's a close call between upgrading a really old cart and buying a newer one that needs fewer upgrades. That's obviously up to you to decide which way to go. I'm not sure that the final cost will be that different assuming you can sell the old cart to help pay for a newer one that might still need some upgrades.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:24 PM   #3
Goldstripe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
It's a close call between upgrading a really old cart and buying a newer one that needs fewer upgrades. That's obviously up to you to decide which way to go. I'm not sure that the final cost will be that different assuming you can sell the old cart to help pay for a newer one that might still need some upgrades.
Thanks Volt! I was kinda thinking the same thing. Their argument was that I'd have around $3k invested when I could just spend $6k on a newer cart. That math doesn't add up for me, unless this is just not a good platform to start with. If that's the case, then I get it but from everything I've read so far, Yamaha carts are pretty solid.
Goldstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think you are looking at a bit more than 3K to do a full upgrade to 48Volts with a fancy controller and probably a new motor. Not sure what prices are around where you are but I bought a 2009 G29 with new batteries and a dead motor for 2K. I sold the batteries (wanted Lithium), bought an Alltrax controller, D&D motor, new wheels and tires, and a Lithium battery from a Nissan Leaf. I got 600 for the batteries and spent about 3K for the upgrade stuff so I have less than 5K in my cart. I now have two Yamaha G29's and I am very happy with them now that I have got them modified to my liking.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha