lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
bayshoreinc
Not Yet Wild

Default Hitting the rev limiter..... problems caused?

First...I've heard that hitting the rev limiter to much can damage the engine. Why would that cause damage to the engine???

Second...After the zip tie trick to increase the speed, I'm hitting 18-19 mph on the GPS. Top speed was 19.8 mph. Every once in a while if on a slight decline on our road I hit the rev limiter. So, to not cause any damage to the engine (what, I don't know), I disconnected the rev limiter. Made no other adjustments. The speed is just fine for me and the kids. On the GPS, I've now hit a top speed of 21.5 mph. I know the rev limiter kicks in at 2900 RPM. So can anyone see any problems with leaving the rev limiter disconnected at this point? Seems I'm far from the 4200 RPM where the valves start to float.

Its a 2006 DS, FE290, completely stock.
bayshoreinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hitting the rev limiter..... problems caused?

I drove my fe350 like that with no problems... You could over rev and blow it up or just wear it out sooner at the higher revs? But that all depends upon the mercy of the peddle man now. You should have a tach on it now.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi
#1 These little motor are not reallly designed to go to the rev-limiter. The are designed to haul a 1200 lbs +/- around at 14 MPH. The rev limiter is the last chance safety device for your motors survival. You'll float valves, bend valves, knock holes in pistons with the valves and eventually take out a crankshaft.
Your car probably has a rev limiter...do you ever hit it? No (I hope), that's close to demolition.
#2 The first answer may have answered the second one. If not, we'll just say, more rpm more $$$. The more it works and the faster it works, the sooner it's life wll go....Didn't want to seem as a smart a, it's not intended that way.Use good oil.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
Hi
#1 These little motor are not reallly designed to go to the rev-limiter. The are designed to haul a 1200 lbs +/- around at 14 MPH. The rev limiter is the last chance safety device for your motors survival. You'll float valves, bend valves, knock holes in pistons with the valves and eventually take out a crankshaft.
Your car probably has a rev limiter...do you ever hit it? No (I hope), that's close to demolition.
#2 The first answer may have answered the second one. If not, we'll just say, more rpm more $$$. The more it works and the faster it works, the sooner it's life wll go....Didn't want to seem as a smart a, it's not intended that way.Use good oil.
Oh tony, you are just trying to make me look NICE
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Oh tony, you are just trying to make me look NICE
I type soo sloow that when I started this, your post wasn't there. It was an accident
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
bayshoreinc
Not Yet Wild

My thinking was, with my setup and just hitting the rev limiter occasionally, that my RPM would be right at the 2900 range or slightly over occasionally. I have no intention of trying to reach the 4200 RPM range. Guess I really need to get a tach and see what kind of RPM I'm running.

Quote:
Your car probably has a rev limiter...do you ever hit it?
I would if my car only went 20 MPH. I did hit the rev limiter once at 138 MPH.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
bayshoreinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car