lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
sierrakjf
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Best set-up recommendations ???

It's big block time, I will be driving the cart at the shooting club (low speed / idle) and at Pismo and Lake Tahoe fire trails (power to hill climb and low end torque). Not so much interested in top end or flat out at high speeds. So what would the advice be from the big block golf cart GODS ?
Your recommendations be for a big block (18 or 23) what hop ups ? and any clutch work (drive / driven)?
I'm open to any and all suggestions of the best set-up for my use of the cart
Thanks
Ken
sierrakjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Best set-up recommendations ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakjf View Post

It's big block time, I will be driving the cart at the shooting club (low speed / idle) and at Pismo and Lake Tahoe fire trails (power to hill climb and low end torque). Not so much interested in top end or flat out at high speeds. So what would the advice be from the big block golf cart GODS ?
Your recommendations be for a big block (18 or 23) what hop ups ? and any clutch work (drive / driven)?
I'm open to any and all suggestions of the best set-up for my use of the cart
Thanks
Ken
Ken, you will not be disapointed in the big block, in what ever configuration you chose to build. I would take a close look at "Thenewguy's/Ron's" monster G9 car, it is killer. I would also take the time to call "CPP/Tom", and ask him/tell him what your plans are. He is the "bigblock" guru and will advise you through the build. As for your riding in Pismo and Lake Tahoe....you are a very lucky man...that is outstanding country. Please keep us posted on what you decide.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I'm very happy with the 18 hp from CPP. Low end torque is great. If you get a kit from CPP the drive clutch will be top notch. If your driven is in good condition and working properly it will be fine. I would recommend adding the rev kit to the engine, definitely talk to Tom.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes the rev kit is cheap and allows you to run high rpm for higher top speeds, you can toss the governor for the most part. I think the 18hp revs the highest but the larger 23hp will have more torque....though the 18 is far above stock to start with. I was told the 18hp and 20hp were the same, but not positive on that, in B&S which is what I would use. A stock Kaw or Honda can work too. I was told the B&S and Kawasaki are the best stock but there is a lot of parts you can buy for the Briggs to hop them up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

There is no substitute for HP! If you can swing it, get the 23 for the most torque. Delete the governor and add the high rev kit. If you are fire roading you will probably be required to run a spark arrestor, so you might want to keep that in mind too.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

No matter which way you go it will be a tremendous improvement.

You need to talk with Tom at CPP. I actually bought a Honda motor the rev kit, and timing advance key (in my opinion, both a must have.) Tom set me up with a clutch that unleashed that beast........

CALL TOM!

I also have Tom's engine carrier which made the install a breeze
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
sierrakjf
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So i should go for it ? and get the 23 with rev kit and cam ? over the 18 with rev and cam ?
I know for the sand that tire speed is required and that the sand really eats the HP up ! So no one see a problem with running the hopped up 23 just at an idle around the shooting club?
Newbie question ? how do you set it up to idle with out hte clutch engaging ?
Yes I want to put a tack on the new engine and bypass the governor.
As to exhaust I will ned a spark arestor any ideas for a header and a supertrap pipe. Several memebers have commented on another source for the exhaust yet he is not good standings with BGW so I'm a bit concerned on buying an exhaust from a NON-sponsor of BGW

Looking for any and all input
Ken
sierrakjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakjf View Post
So i should go for it ? and get the 23 with rev kit and cam ? over the 18 with rev and cam ?
I know for the sand that tire speed is required and that the sand really eats the HP up ! So no one see a problem with running the hopped up 23 just at an idle around the shooting club?
Newbie question ? how do you set it up to idle with out hte clutch engaging ?
Yes I want to put a tack on the new engine and bypass the governor.
As to exhaust I will ned a spark arestor any ideas for a header and a supertrap pipe. Several memebers have commented on another source for the exhaust yet he is not good standings with BGW so I'm a bit concerned on buying an exhaust from a NON-sponsor of BGW

Looking for any and all input
Ken
The clutch that Tom set me up with has an idler bearing on it
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I'd get the 23, up to you about the cam, I don't think you will really need it. Here's a link to the header kit I used, allows you to run the pipe about where you want it. Get the 2-1 collector if you go this route and then adapt that to the muffler:

http://robertsonstorquetubes.com/pro...werengine_ufit
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

For sand you can't have enough power, sure I'd go with the 23.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!