lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help with 88 Marathon

What Dave said, number one (where DOES this guy come from ?!?) - number two, it's a good idea to unhook the gas line, yes - I didn't have to lengthen mine but I had replaced it from the hard line to the fuel pump prior to doing the lift so I had a little slack in it, you may have different results depending on the length of your line.

Also, it's hard to describe, but on the 88 models the tab on the axle that the blocks bolt to is at a weird angle so one of the through-bolts on each side won't drop in correctly (I'll try and dig out the cart and snap a pic later this afternoon to show what I mean) - it's really no big deal, you can either grind just a hair off of one of the facets on the bolt head or use two smaller bolts - hang tight, I'm going to shut up for now til I get a picture to show you what I mean
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
MFD622
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I found the link to Bennet golf cars and was looking at the manuals available to download. Problem is they don't list 1988 gas, only 86-87 and 89-91. So, which is should I get? 1987 or 1989? I am thinking there can't be that many mods from year to year but which one will be closer to the 1988?
MFD622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

88 is kinda a "Red-Headed Step-Child" of Marathons,its' crossed between the 2 models of Marathon(pre-88 & 89-up)For the most part look at 89-up and you should be fine.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
MFD622
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have looking at the Bennets site for a manual to download. Problem is they list an 86-87 or a 89-91 and nothing for an 88. Which one should I get? I can't imagine there would be that many mod from year to year, but which one would be closer to what I have? The 89-91 actually lists the GX444 in the title but I thought I read in a thread where 89 is where they changed something with the engine? I am plenty green with this stuff and the last thing I need to do is look at the wrong pics.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
MFD622
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dang, I posted twice, sorry about that guys. Computer user glitch. Anyway, thank you for the info. I am printing off all 210 pages of the 89 manual
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

In 89 they switched to the 3pg motor,I think the 88 is still the 2pg,Not definite but someone should know.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

MFD662, Pachanga is correct 88 was the change over year, however EZGO have made it really easy for you. If your muffler stands up you have the 2PG engine and should use the 86 manual. If the muffler is lying down you have a 3PG and you need the later manual.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
MFD622
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, it's official, I have 2pg engine. The muffler is standing straight up. Now to start looking at all the things to modify. I am sure I will have more questions when the lift comes in. Hopefully, I will get a better understanding of all this. My clutch is making a god aweful noise at idle. The guy I bought it from said he had it checked out and it was fine. Supposedly, its always made this noise. It does go away once I get going.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The rollers and link-arms are falling apart,They sound awful don't they?Unless its' different from the earlier clutches or a replacement theres' no fix other than new.If you grab the clutch and rock it does it rattle/clunk?More than likely it does.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
MFD622
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am going to have to look at that a little closer. If I have my terms correct, its the clutch and not the driven clutch that is making the noise? Or to explain as best I can, its the smaller of the two clutches which is on the passenger side and the driven clutch is on the driver's side. It seems to rattle just moving it around. Thoughts and cost of a replacement?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO