lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Briggs 8hp engine in G16

I have a decent (said loosely) Yamaha G16 golf cart. Siezed engine which I honestly do not have much home for. With it, also came another almost complete cart and then one that is just a frame with the body and such, but no wheels or rear end or engine. While inspecting the frame, I noticed that the original swingarm type thing where the engine mounts, it is a large empty square. I was thinking of making a mounting plate out of some wood, just a flat square that was reinforced simply to mount a verticle shaft Briggs 8hp flathead. It already has a clutch on it that would work perfectly with the belt so I don't have to worry about that. Honestly I would only be worried about torque. The yamaha's put out 9hp stock if I am not mistaking, so just for cruising around the neighborhood I think I will be fine, plus the ability to idle is great along with the pull start ability!
stevensj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Briggs 8hp engine in G16

I would be more worried you would even consider using wood to mount any engine.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
BigCountry79
Gone Wild

Yamaha

not to hurt your feeling man........you'd better scrap that idea
BigCountry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Thought U had a good engine and all U needed was a breaker bar and magic oil .
Did that not work ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I have been looking the engine over, and it pouring out crystal clear water and no oil along with the oil fill tube being caked with dirt inside leaves me to believe I would need to take out the motor, strip it down, and rebuilt it from the ground up, bottom and top end. I will get the marvel mystery oil in the cylinder today and the new oil in the crankcase and see if I can break the engine free. If not, its getting a briggs. still designing the mounts but if I make some framework with pressure treated 2x4s I should be able to put some wider boards, 2x10s, to make the mounting plate. I will do a sketch of my design and post a pic later today
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I would like to welcome you to the best golf cart forum on the web. There are thousands of great people here that will help you in any way to safely achive your goals, but, You need to understand we do not support any unsafe work ethics or practices here and using wood, no matter how big a piece, in any structural application is considered unsafe and could cause personal injury or death. We would open an avenue of liability If others followed this direction if we supported these work habits and someone was injured.
If you wish to continue in this direction you will not be welcome on this forum.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensj13 View Post
Well I have been looking the engine over, and it pouring out crystal clear water and no oil along with the oil fill tube being caked with dirt inside leaves me to believe I would need to take out the motor, strip it down, and rebuilt it from the ground up, bottom and top end. I will get the marvel mystery oil in the cylinder today and the new oil in the crankcase and see if I can break the engine free. If not, its getting a briggs. still designing the mounts but if I make some framework with pressure treated 2x4s I should be able to put some wider boards, 2x10s, to make the mounting plate. I will do a sketch of my design and post a pic later today

BGW...or... anyone on this forum, ... BGW itself, is/are NOT responsible for your actions in the result of using, or, misusing this information that may cause possible damage to yourself, your property, or someone else!
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

and you need to reconsider using a vert shaft engine........ how are you going to get power to the transmission??
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Step away from the circular saw......
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, i wont make the mounts from wood. I will make some metal mounts tonigh for my 2nd cart frame. Either way, do you think an 8hp briggs from the 80s with a bypassed governer and an updraft carb would power and average G16? Keep in mind it will be lighter with the smaller briggs engine and a smaller gas tank (came stock mounted on the engine).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha