lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
richardd
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Guru needed Strange Problem with reed cage

I just got a gimme on a G1. Put a battery and a fuel pump from a club car(it seems to have more pump pressure than the stock G1, maybe too much?) and coil on it and it fired up and ran pretty darn good. Lots of low torque and was running good. Rode it around for a few days to see what else it needed.

Yesterday I went to take it out for a spin. It ran for about 3 minutes then died. Wouldn't start at all. Checked fuel it was low but not out I think. Filled the tank and it made no difference.

Wouldn't start with direct pour of gas in carb throat, nor a few drops into the cylinder. Checked plug and good spark in plug.

My compression tester is at a friends house, but you can't hold your finger on the spark plug hole.

Plug didn't seem too wet at all after cranking for awhile.

Took the four bolts holding the reed cage assembly off and took a look at it.

Seemed to have a lot of fuel on the carb side of the reed cage, but pretty dry on the cylinder side of the reed cage.

Had it in reverse, so I hit the pedal it it sputtered and actually hit a few times like it was wanting to start.

Checked the gaskets and even made a new one for the cylinder side of the reed cage.

Reassembled it and the darn thing ran for about a minute or so before dying again.

Took the reed cage back off again and inspected everything. Ran it in reverse for a few seconds and again it tried to hit a few licks. Put it back together and it again fired up and ran for a minute or so before dying.

The next time I only loosened the reed cage and ran it in reverse for awhile, again it sputtered but wouldn't start.

Tightened the bolts back up and it again started and ran for awhile.

I am trying to figure out the logic as to why loosening the reed cage up, running it in reverse for a few seconds, then tightening up the reed cage would allow it to run for awhile.

Open for suggestions or similar experiences
richardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
richardd
Not Yet Wild

Default Update: G1 Guru needed Strange Problem with reed cage

Let it sit for a couple of hours and went out pushed the pedal and it started up quickly. Ran for a minute or so then noticed gas coming from carb overflow hose. Too much gas pressure? Gonna let it sit all night then try again in the morning again without touching the reed cage. Also have the boost bottle unhooked for right now. Plugged at carb mount when I test it, unplugged to let it "air out". Just experimenting to see what results I have.
richardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Guru needed Strange Problem with reed cage

Sounds like a stuck/mis-adjusted float causing the motor to be flooded.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Guru needed Strange Problem with reed cage

Some carbs will overflow the float into the carb not out a vent. Pressure can cause that. I'd find the vent figure out if its overflow or not. Reed is simple its a one way valve, if the reeds do not lay flat and seal and are or are nearly closed at rest its not working right. Usually they will not run well at all, hard start, no idle if they are messed up. What would really be bad is if the piston skirt broke I have seen that. leaking crank seals also cause hard starting you will see oil at crank, or spray something there and see if it runs different.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
1WOODMONT
Not Yet Wild

Default Update: G1 Guru needed Strange Problem with reed cage

Pretty sure now that it is either a float, needle, seat or pump problem. After it sits for awhile, you can go out and start it pretty easy. However just before it starts boggin down, fuel will come out of the overflow hose from the car. The question though is if the club car fuel pump has that much more pressure than the stock G1 carb.
1WOODMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha