lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Walking-Again
Not Yet Wild

Default Workhorse Engine Problem

My Workhorse with stock 9hp Robins suddenly started having problems. Started loosing power, then had to choke to keep running, then it died. Engine turns over fine and tries to start but just won't anymore. Found air cleaner housing dripping with very light brown oil, pulled the stick and found the same color motor oil. Appears gas is getting into the engine oil. I'm guessing I've got a broken ring but is there anything else I should look at and hopefully a lot cheaper? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Walking-Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Cheezygo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse Engine Problem

I'm not familiar with that engine but it could be a ruptured fuel pump diaphram. That would cause the lean condition and gas in the oil. That is if it has a pulse type fuel pump...
Cheezygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Don't you mean oil in the carb ?
I just check the basics..these engines are known to run with minimal compression..so that's what I do..check to make sure I have spark when I am supposed to, then fuel..and lastly comprrssion if the first two are adequate and clean, etc.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Welcome to BGW WA,
Choking it wouldn't keep a low compression engine running.
Only two ways to get fuel into the block, fuel pump pulse hose or leaking carb needle and seat.
Could be your fuel pump diaphram but more times the trouble comes from a dirty carb.
I would think you've picked up some trash/dirt/water maybe by way of dirty gas can and it has worked itself into the carb. Sounds like a good time to do a major tune up with carb and fuel tank cleaning, valve adjustment, new air and fuel filters, oil change and plugs.
If you find dirt issue don't forget to check your gas can.
Don't know how many carbs I have done twice because customers went back home and filled with the same dirty can.
Keep us posted.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

I'm not a mechanic, but I'd agree with a carb problem. The other day I was talking to a cart mechanic about what seems like a carb problem I have. One of the first things he asked was, had I checked the oil lately. He said a person would be surprised how much gas can get dumped into the block because of carb problems.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Walking-Again
Not Yet Wild

Well I spent the evening working on this thing. Took the carb off, tore it apart and soaked it in carb cleaner while I did the other work. New plugs, adjusted the valves, changed oil, cleaned the oil filter, new fuel filter, air filter, all new fuel and vacuum lines. Rinsed and blew the carb out and installed. After much cranking finally got it started but will not stay running w/o being fully choked. Frustrated to say the least.

Can someone tell me what kind of fuel output I should be getting out of the fuel pump. I am getting a few squirts, doesn't seem like much to me. The fuel filter level barely reaches the output. Also is there a way to test the pulse line going to the fuel pump?

Thanks again,
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

sounds like a weak or for all intents and purposes, a non functioning fuel pump.

If the filter isn't staying 'full' might want to extend the fuel line a little
to get it off the top of the tank..(had a problem with that once) but the fuel
pump should be pretty good coming out..
Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
If the filter isn't staying 'full' might want to extend the fuel line a little
to get it off the top of the tank..(had a problem with that once)
Would you expand on that a bit. Are you saying gas drains back to the tank from the filter?

I've noticed my filter hardly has any gas in it. But I did check the fuel pump when working on my hard starting issue, and got plenty of gas out of the pump.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Walking-Again
Not Yet Wild

Well good news!! I tore the fuel pump apart and sure enough the inlet port has a piece of debris stuck in it. Cleaned it up and wala the cart runs great. One good thing, it got a good spring servicing. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
Would you expand on that a bit. Are you saying gas drains back to the tank from the filter?

I've noticed my filter hardly has any gas in it. But I did check the fuel pump when working on my hard starting issue, and got plenty of gas out of the pump.
a lot of them seem to look half full..as long as it is flowing it's good to go.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO