lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
cbrothers19
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 EZ GO Hub Tricks or Tips

I am stuck, I mean it was easier to pull the front hub off the wifes Yukon than this ez go hub.

Ok, took off wheel, took off brake cable from back side of brake plate.
Now adjusted the brakes via the wheel/gear inside the one hole in the hub.
Adjusted it the wrong way as the hub got tighter and tighter to rotate.
so adjusted back to a point that i cant seem to adjust any more.
BUT, seems like the wheel/gear could be adjusted in as the spacing on the wheel/gear post in side the hub.

So are the brakes still holding up this hub from sliding off?
Is the gear/spline that the hub sits on still holding it?

Can i take the four bolts out that hold the brake plate on and will that help get it to release?
I have taken a torch, beat on it, pryed on it. Just have not used a gear puller and that seems like the best option at this point.

But was looking for any tricks of the trade to get this bad boy off so i can go back to cruising again....

Thanks for the help in advance, enjoy the forum....
cbrothers19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 EZ GO Hub Tricks or Tips

Brake drum slide hammer or press puller. Both work well.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A small sledge and steel rod work well. Place the rod along the edge of the drum. Hit it, turn the drum a quarter turn, hit again, etc.
Check the stickies for info, but if I recall correctly, the star adjuster only works in one direction.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The star adjuster will turn in both directions, but you need to release the piece that normally prevents it from going that direction. I never tried doing that, as it sounded darn near impossible to push two tools into the right place, while lying on your back.

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

There's a section on brakes, but it's been a while since I did mine, so I don't remember any tricks. Seems like I sat there and worked it from side to side, and even tried applying and releasing the brakes from time to time. One problem you may run into is the shoes wear a groove into the drums which results in a small ridge just at the edge of the drum. The shoes and drums become locked as a result of this. If that's what your problem is, you should be able to pull the drum out slightly, and push it back in again. Then you just have to work it off. Pulling it from one side can allow the shoe to clear the ridge on that side.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
cbrothers19
Not Yet Wild

Thank you gentleman.
Going to try the slide hammer tomorrow night.
Stepfather has one at his work as autozone, advance and o'reillys all didnt have one to purchase or rent.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
cbrothers19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
The star adjuster will turn in both directions, but you need to release the piece that normally prevents it from going that direction. I never tried doing that, as it sounded darn near impossible to push two tools into the right place, while lying on your back.

Your right that adjuster wanted to go one way pretty easy which in turned locked up the drum tighter as in applying the brakes.
But going the other way is difficult with trying to lift and turn with two tools in that hole on your back....
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Try leaving the castle nut off and bolt a wheel to the hub.. Make sure cart is stable and can't fall on you... Now pull on wheel while rotating back and forth.. Worth a shot..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Try leaving the castle nut off and bolt a wheel to the hub.. Make sure cart is stable and can't fall on you... Now pull on wheel while rotating back and forth.. Worth a shot..
I knew a guy who kept an old rim around, no tire. He would bolt that on and hit it with a mini sledge hammer while rotating it between hits.
The slide hammer or drum puller is so much more even and zero chance of busting a drum.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
cbrothers19
Not Yet Wild

Thats a idea with the rim.

Speaking of the castle nut. Bought this cart about 6-7 weeks ago. 11yr old boy backed it out of garage and then i assume slammed it into forward, and then no go. Kid thinks its a race car. So i hope its the hub that is the stripped piece.

anyways took off tire, and was able to turn castle nut with my bare hands to get it off, so i take it that was part of the problem also....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Torque is 90-140 ft pounds with a cotter pin, so loose castle nut was the problem, don't blame the kid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO