lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
muscle_cars_only
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hydraulic vs. Cable DISC Brakes

I've searched and found really no info on the differences between Hydraulic and cable DISC brakes except percentage of power over stock shoes.

Would love some candid feedback on the pros and cons of each to aid myself and others that might be contemplating moving towards this mod.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

This will be going on an 02 PDS w/12" wheels..
muscle_cars_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hydraulic vs. Cable DISC Brakes

I currently have the Ausco cable set up. The stopping power is fine but pedal effort is high ( still cable controlled vs hydraulic) Also they seem to need adjusting frequently. I think that is due to having to stop my beast of a cart and using parking brake all the time. Also with a lifted cart the **** cables hang so low. Going hydraulic that would all be gone. If I did it again I think I would personally go hydraulic.
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I left the stock EZ-GO cable drums on the rear and had Jakes hydraulic installed in the front. (Disc). I like the two separate systems of brakes in case one happens to get torn off during my woods outings. (I use my cart for hunting) The Jakes made a huge difference in downhill stopping power and the ability of my cart to park on steep hills. I don't have any problems with a heavy peddle push (of course...it's not like a car's power brakes) and I do stop on these steep Pennsylvania mountain hills.

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have Jakes hydraulics front , auscos mechanical discs rear. The combo works great. If you have good stock brakes the Jakes are a great addition. I really like mine. Great stopping power with hydraulics. You can get 2 and 4 wheel setups, hydraulics from Scotty b web site
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB only sells the mechanical ausco rear brakes now.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
I have Jakes hydraulics front , auscos mechanical discs rear. The combo works great. If you have good stock brakes the Jakes are a great addition. I really like mine. Great stopping power with hydraulics. You can get 2 and 4 wheel setups, hydraulics from Scotty b web site
Carts Unlimited stopped selling the hydraulic brake setups from wheelsca.com a year ago. A high percentage of people did have trouble installing them. Hydraulic disc brake installation is not a level 1 upgrade. The cost is high. We have two 4 wheel sets and they have worked work great. We are replacing the master cylinder and pads on both systems after 4 or 5 years.
The 2 wheel cable disc brake kits cost half as much and are a much easier install. The cable disc brake hub is very durable and fixes a problem with the original Ezgo Hub. This is a level 1 upgrade (simple - beginner) Everybody seems to be happy with the braking power improvement.
If you are an experienced mechanic and want the best braking system available I suggest you look into the wheelsca system.

Be sure to check your wheels for 9.5 inches of clear inside distance and 4" offset before buying either set up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
muscle_cars_only
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input... I've been looking at SUNOCO's system... As far as the install goes I'm not worried about how hard it is, I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics on cars and motorcycles.

What has been the overall issues with the installs? Were the issues with bleeding the system? What's the pedal feel like with hydraulic vs normal shoes?

I plan on bench bleeding the master before install then reverse bleeding the system. Is this the preferred method or an alternate?

Dave
muscle_cars_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO