lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
t8ter
Not Yet Wild

Default Big battery prob

He guys newbie here. I did a big battery 36v drop in on my older stock ezgo. Researched this sight and YouTube on install. I’m not getting the help I think I should be getting from BB.
Battery charges great to 46v. Drops to the 43v as soon as I use it but shortly after it start dipping down to as low as 39v during use . At first the bms wouldn’t shut it down. Range was fair but it would bother me the battery dipping below 41.5v witch they say not to go below. Now that weather is cooler it charges good. Leaves at 43v but makes it bout a 100 yards then bms shuts it down. Flip breaker and it’s back to 43v but want go 100 yards. The last contact with BB thinks I have a lose connection. I can’t find anything lose. The only thing I’m a little hazy on is the red wire for reed switch. I did an Anderson port for charger. I pulled that red wire to positive side of my bus bar. I’m not sure if that was correct?
This has me very frustrated.
Thanks
t8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Big battery prob

I think you/support may be looking at the wrong documentation. 41.5 is the cutoff voltage for a 48v pack.

36v is the low pack cutoff for a 36v pack, with a minimum recommend 37v operation range. Max is 45v, yes, but the voltage curve for a lithium pack is not linear.

You'll find yourself operating within the 39-42 range for 80% of your battery capacity range, then it will suddenly drop for the last 10%.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:58 AM   #3
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

I think you/support may be looking at the wrong documentation. 41.5 is the cutoff voltage for a 48v pack.

36v is the low pack cutoff for a 36v pack, with a minimum recommend 37v operation range. Max is 45v, yes, but the voltage curve for a lithium pack is not linear.
???????????? 36 volt or 48 volt pack
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
t8ter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I’m not very knowledgeable on the lithium volt ways. So when I order a 36v pack from BB I still don’t follow why I have to charge to 46v, opertate at max 43v but bms will shut down under 41.5? That’s were the communication prob occurs. They do lithium for a living. I order a drop in pack cause I don’t get all the lithium stuff. This has been going on for several months. Almost $2k in battery and the cart don’t make it out the yard.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear all that T8ter. That sucks.

So we need to find out what they sent you. Maybe they sent you a 48v pack? Does it say on the side of the battery which one it is?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
t8ter
Not Yet Wild

Doesn’t say anywhere on it.
It a big battery 36v gatr max.
Tech Specs
PDF Download
Click Here
Chemistry:
LiFePO4 (New)
Battery Configuration:
13S6P
Voltage:
36V
Ah Capacity:
120Ah
kWh Capacity:
5kWh
Wh Capacity:
5000Wh
Max Continuous Discharge Current:
150A
Max Continuous Power:
6400W
Max Discharge Peak Current:
12,000W (6 Seconds)
Voltage Range:
36 – 45V
Max Charge Voltage:
45V
Max Charge Current:
100A
Charge Temp Range (°C):
0°C (32°F) / 55°C (131°F)
Discharge Temp Range (°C):
-30°C (-22°F) / 55°C (131°F)
Optimal Discharge Temp. Range:
15°C (59°F) / 35°C (95°F)
Storage Temp:
-30°C (-22°F) / 55°C (131°F) (Max 6 Months)
Weight:
110 (LBS)
Dimensions:
(L): 10.25" (W): 29.75" (H): 11.0"
Safety Features:
BMS (Battery Management System)
Over Voltage, Under Voltage, Over-Current
(Thermal Management System), Breaker (300A)
Max battery Connections:
Series: Not Series Capable
Parallel: (YES) ☑ Cap x (
Everything is wired to bus bars. I studied this site and YouTube for months on this. Only thing I can’t find is what to do with little red wire for reed switch. I put it to hot side of bus bar. Not sure if this is right. Other than that everything is like it should be.
I’m to point I want to make sure it’s not my cart and I’m going to ask for new battery or refund.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8ter View Post
It a big battery 36v gatr max.

Voltage Range:
36 – 45V
So you have the 36V battery. That 13S battery should cut off around 36V. So the fact that you've seen it down to 39V is not a problem.

The LiFePo4 cells in that cart *can* be discharged as low as 2.5vpc but doing so will shorten their lives. At 36v the cells (if all balanced) will be 2.76vpc. Nominal voltage for that chemistry is anywhere from 3.0vpc to 3.2vpc and max voltage is 3.6vpc. What this means to you is at 36V your pack is fully depleted. Your pack at 39V to 41.6 is right in the middle and at 46V your fully charged.

Dipping to 39V isn't something to worry about.

I like that they ship the battery with limits in place preventing you from fully charging and fully discharging. That means your pack should last a very long time.

And yes, the reed switch red wire should be wired to full pack +V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post

bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
t8ter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks but what is making bms cut battery off now? Fully charged it only will go bout 100 yards and shutdown. BB claims lose wire. I can’t find any lose connections. Shuts down but when I flip breaker it comes back on at full voltages.
I guess what I’m asking is how to troubleshoot it? I thought it may be cheap voltage reducer so I removed it and got a better one. I’m leaving it out of the loop till I find the prob.
Thanks bunch
Old 11-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Did this cart have a BMS on it before the lithium drop in? Did you disconnect it when you installed the Big Battery Lithium? When you refer to the BMS, are you referring to the Big Battery BMS (built in)?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
t8ter
Not Yet Wild

No. Cart had lead before. Yes I’m referring to built in bms. It around a 2001 ez go. I’m assuming bms is shutting it down. Just stops and display on pack goes blank. Takes flipping the battery breaker to cut back on? It has 43v on display now. Takes off with tons of power but just shuts off after bout 100 yards.
Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO