lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #101
tdufresne
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installing HEI Ignition on 3PG Carts

Resorted to this MOD when my cart would no longer start - could not find the exact parts so I talked to the AutoZone tech and substituted a DuraLast DR100 Controller for the igniter and a DuraLast C839 - 94 Ford Mustang Coil. We had to swap the polatiry on the coil to get it to start, but it runs great now! Thank you for all the helpful sharing!
tdufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #102
gooseranch
Not Yet Wild

Hi all. First post. Nice site here. I just performed the HEI conversion and it worked like a champ. Thank you for the info. Now I am dealing with a backfire. Thought maybe timing but what little info I could find on timing makes it sound not so important as with anything else I have worked with. Appreciate any and all advice/suggestions. Thanks

Goose
gooseranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #103
nas
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Hi for all the guys wanting to convert your two cylinder carts I have successfully converted a robin eh29c (295 cc) and an eh350c(352cc)

ground the Hei make sure to grind the paint off of whatever you decide to mount the unit to and use the supplied grease to keep it from overheating.

here is how I wired it

ground 1 mounting screw with a wire to the ground bank on the wall also it works better than just using the body and 1 of the wholes has metal around it for grounding

red wire from solenoid to positive on coil(this is the mail connector toward the front of the coil and from the lower bung on the solenoid) this wire gives direct power to the coil as soon as you hit the pedal. I just made a new wire for this.

C on the Hei goes to the white wire from the coil negative(toward the back of the coil) I reused the harness for this part

B on the Hei goes to A NEW red wire from the solenoid (again the lower bung on the solenoid) THIS STEP REPLACES THE NEED FOR THE ORANGE WIRE I made a new wire for this step also. I also used an inline 12volt resistor here due to a bad voltage regulator that burned up 2 stock igniters in my eh35c (this is why I converted to HEI) if you are not burning them up then the resistor is probably overkill.

W on the Hei goes to the black wire from the pulsar in the stock harness

G on the Hei goes to the red/white wire from the pulsar also in the stock harness
YOU WILL NO LONGER USE THE ORANGE WIRE ON THE OLD BOX JUST GET RID OF IT ALTOGETHER

that's it pretty easy I just cut off the connector on the stock harness and pealed back the sleeve about 6 or 8 inches
I mounted my HEI on the frame rail just above the battery on the motor side of the rail.

I have heard some guys reversing the pulsar wires but this is how it worked for me (it may have something to do with timing)

When I first started the cart it sputtered for about 30 seconds then ran like the wind and has for quite a while now in both carts.
nas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #104
aze55amg
Not Yet Wild

I recently installed the HEI on my 91 3pg. Thank you for the original info OP!
aze55amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #105
Beastmode1974
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Was the reason behind the HEI conversion weak spark. My 82 is dead at the moment. The spark at the plug is white not blue.
Beastmode1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #106
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I believe that was the intent of the upgrade.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #107
Paulandrikopoulos
Not Yet Wild

My parts guy tells me the the module for a 77 Nova 4.1L is CBE4P and not Z. Are they wrong or is it the same thing?
Paulandrikopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #108
Dway217
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi all

So... I put the hei in my 1990 3pg this afternoon and after switching the pulsar wires, it ran great!... For 600 feet. Now I have lost spark. I have checked resistance in the pulsar coil, 145 ohms, and the hei coil, .7 ohms, which both seem to be within specs I've found. I have 12v to the coil, and the grounds seem to be good. Just wondering if anyone could verify these readings, or if anyone else has perhaps had similar issues before I ripping and tearing. Thanks
Dway217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #109
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Welcome to BGW!
Readings look good. Did you ground the ignition module terminal and make sure it has a good heat-sink?
What is your plug gap?
What town are you in?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #110
my1423
Gone Wild

If you do not put the thermal grease on the back of the module and mount it to a heat sink the module will be fried.
Only takes a few minutes to ruin it.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO