lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
lv125403
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 Marathon drive clutch locking.

I just bought an 1987 Marathon cart that had been sitting in a shed for approximately 8 years. After a ton of carb work, I have the engine running well. I took it out today and it did great for about 30 minutes, but then it started bogging down on any kind of incline. What was happening is the drive clutch was locking in the high speed low torque position. Sometimes it would stay locked in when the cart was stopped, which means the starter had to move the cart to crank the engine. I can switch back and forth from reverse to forward, and the clutch will release. Can anyone tell me how to go about cleaning it out? I believe there is rust build up in the mechanism that is not allowing it to float. Also, is there some kind of lube I can used on the moving parts? Thanks
lv125403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Marathon drive clutch locking.

I would pull the clutch-cover(there is a spring in there,but its' not very strong).Something is either bent or damaged,causing it to hang-up,possibly the spring is broken.If you have the stock clutch(aluminum,one side is about 5" wide)Remove the center-bolt,and the 3 cover-bolts.The factory-replacement is a little different,and I'm not familiar with them,but they are common.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Vavoomskill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pull the governor cover, spray it down with penetrating oil ,, blow it out with air and give it a try.. just don't get the belt oily
Vavoomskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had the same thing with my 87 from sitting. A good cleaning of both clutchs and they worked fine for me. Like they said dont get anything on the belt. Good Luck
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
lv125403
Not Yet Wild

Turns out where it had sit with the pulley in the fully open position for so long, the shaft had rusted up. When the clutch closed in response to the rpm's, it would get stuck on the rusty shaft. I removed the plug wire and cranked the engine while holding some fine sand paper to the shaft. That seems to have did the trick. The drive clutch will have to be changed soon though I'm afraid. The bushings have worn down, so it makes a clanking sound when you first fire it up, and when the engine is coming to a stop. Does anyone know if those can be rebuilt? I found bushing kits for the driven clutch, but nothing for the drive clutch. Thanks to all who responded
lv125403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

I looked for parts to rebuilt the clutches and I came up with it is a 20 year old clutches just get new if you can. I did and runs like new again.
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO