lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #41
yeabuddy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: do I have enough power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeabuddy View Post
I have a 1995 36v series medalist EZGO. It appears to have the original GE 2hp motor. Not sure about the controller, looks newer but probably just 250amps. And it's looking more and more like I'll have new batteries. I will be using it around the campground. I'd like speed to be around 12/15 mph and there are some slight hills to climb. Will I have enough power for a back seat and passengers?
Thanks in advance.
Yeabuddy!
Still debating options here. The thread went a little south lol but if you have time to read through....... I asked a local guy some of the same questions and he recommended a plumquick bandit to satisfy my needs. Would this do what I need it to while keeping everything else stock?
yeabuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #42
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Your stock motor will suit your speed needs & will do fine on the hills, if fed properly. If you are mostly looking for torque (to pull hills with 4 passengers), and the stock speed of about 14mph will work for you. You should be looking at a motor controller upgrade, not a motor upgrade. The strongest motor available will be unimpressive if hooked to too small a motor controller. A upgraded motor controller adds torque, a upgraded motor can add speed or torque, but will require a strong enough controller. I would do more searching on your current controller, and aim for a controller around 400 amps.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #43
yeabuddy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks cgtech.
Can anyone tell what the specs are on my controller from these pics? There aren't many markings.

sorry... images only show up when viewing from a tablet
Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #44
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are thousands of carts just like yours around here that do this every day. The vast majority of them are stock with back seats, long roofs, lights and such so relatively heavy in context. Most of these carts are unmodified power train wise. Carts that can have top speed adjusted by software or other non mechanical means are set to go as fast as they can, but other than that, unmolested.
It is common to see them over loaded with adults/kids/dogs and baggage, groceries or whatever and they all do just fine. The DC carts slow on the hills of course but every one is going about their business at ~ 15 on the flats and ~10 on the hills loaded down.

My personal experience is with the cart shown below. It came from the factory with a 400amp controller and a 1.87KW motor. So just a little hotter than the basic fleet carts with a 1.49 KW motor and a ~275 amp controller. It would hold a couple of MPH faster on the flats (because of the motor) and hold speed on the hills a little better but not much.
I would say first thing is to get the drive train in your cart in shape first and then see where you are. Batteries, Batteries, Batteries. Get the best you can afford. Change all the high current wires to 4 Ga (or 2 Ga). Even if they look good now, if they have any age on them they are likely corroded inside the jacket. Look after the F/R switch. Once you have a good power source and the current is flowing properly to the motor, then you can judge if the cart meets your needs. If not, well, you have the proper base to optimize modifications like hot motors etc.

Note: AC motored carts are a game changer. The RXV is becoming very popular around here. I only mention this because if you end up spending a significant chunk on your cart and then someone shows up at your camp with an RXV ( or a soon to be AC powered Yamaha ), You may have wished you had just waited and put the money in one of those carts.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #45
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I can tell with 100% certainty that you do not have the 400a factory controller, you have the small one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
yeabuddy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
There are thousands of carts just like yours around here that do this every day.
Thanks kernal. This is reassuring. 12mph on flats and 10 mph on hills loaded down is all I'm asking for.
I guess all I can do is wait until spring and try it out. Worse case scenario, I'll have to sell it. Someone who has the funds to upgrade will definately want this cart.
The anticipation was killing me though. I knew I should have waited to buy lol. It's going to be a long winter
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #47
yeabuddy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Happy new year everyone. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I had to revive this old thread of mine due to some new info I came across. Check out this even older thread that talks about "the very weak 2hp blue motor"
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...very-slow.html
I'm afraid this is what I have. Does this .5 decrease in hp set me back even further?
...Note: I haven't started on any improvements yet...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #48
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi..
RXV tech here...

You seem to want a buggy with lots of torque for hill climbing and people hauling.
Looks like you are about to drop a chunk of change on batteries,controller,solenoid,wires,
back seat ect.

Before you pull the trigger on these upgrades, you may want to check out the AC powered carts mentioned by KERNAL earlier in these posts.

RXV's are GREAT hill climbers. They are programable for a top speed of up to 19 mph,
20-22 mph with larger tires.

As long as you dont lift cart and put too large a tire on them, RXV's are very easy to drive carts.

They have superior throttle control without the start up jerk common with dc carts.
RXV's will not run away on downhill runs. The cart will stay at speed commanded by
throttle and in no case exceed programmed top speed.

Glad to give more info if you wish..

Good luck...Keep us posted
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO