lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Default Maybe getting a G1 project

So I posted an ad on my local CL for a busted or dead cart. A guy called me with a G1, so I went and took a look.

Overall, it's not horrible, minimal rust, body is decent. Someone had tried to do a homegrown lift on it. The rear has what looks like adjustable motorcycle coilovers that lift the rear probably 6". Not super stiff, just not how I would have done it.

The front also has some wonky coilovers for a lift, but the wheels are cambered out a ton. Not really stiff, just not done right.

So, aside from that, parts-wise, it looks mostly complete minus the frame for the top, the top itself and bag holder.

Question 1,any idea how much that top frame can cost and where I can find it? The frame mostly, I can probably find a top for it somewhere local.

Second, the engine seems to be unbolted from the frame (never encouraging), as it moves around. The belts are on it though, and everyrthing turned over when we jumped the solenoids. The switch in the dash was there, but screwed up.

Also disconcerting was the ability to turn the engine over by hand really easily. These are supposed to have over 100psi right? Is that normal, or am I looking at freshening the top end, minimum?

Lots of questions, I know. But carts around here go for ridiculous prices in all kinds of states of disrepair. Guys regularly want $1000-$1500 for old crap that needs batteries, engines, are 3-wheelers, etc...
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Maybe getting a G1 project

Also, the guy is half desperate to get rid of it. He wants $400, which if it was all there and unmolested, would be half reasonable. But as it is, I can't see giving him much more than $150-200 max.

I also don't want a money pit. I've been down that road with Sea-Doos. A couple extra $50 here, another $100 there... Do that enough times and it gets frustrating..

I came out OK on all of them, but still...
Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sounds like a big project. I've redone a few carts. The G1 is my favorite, but it is also the most frustrating to learn the first time. Since it's a 2 cycle engine and it runs backwards, it is real tricky to figure out the wiring. It sounds like you'd have a complete rebuild on this one, with all the suspension work.

In my experience, it's better to pony up and buy the running driving cart, rather than the basket case. You'll end up spending just as much. With a running and driving cart, at least you know what you have. With the basket case, it's all a mystery. You could get lucky and only have to replace the rings and gaskets, or you might need a crank and bearings. You just never know.

If you are interested....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...dpas-cart.html
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

I thought about taking some pics, but I figured I'd price out an engine, rebuild kit etc.... I'm with you guys, and that's why I didn't grab it. I think it would be a pure gamble. Who knows what else needs replaced.

So, like SLONOMO said, I'll hunt for one that is mostly functional and spend a bit more initially. It does no good to have an idea of what mods you want to do, only to drop the whole budget on just getting it running right.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Did you look at the link I posted?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha