lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

Default Brakes Locking Up...

I'm pretty new to this site and I wanted to post something that just started happening today with my 2001 Club Car DS. A little background info. first. I recently had a golf cart shop install a Curtiss 500 amp controller (my cart has a regen system), a 200/600 amp White-Rodgers solenoid, and really nice 4 gauge wires from Carts Unlimited (thanks, ScottyB!)

Below is a description of what is happening with my cart (I cut and pasted it from another part of this site). It was fine for about a week, then this started happening. I'm thinking it is something with the controller, but one individual suggested that it was my rear axle that is loose and that I need to tighten the U-bolts. Personally, I don't think this is the case, especially since the brakes lock up even when I don't even touch the brake pedal! Also, if the rear axle was loose, why would it suddenly stop doing it? It should be doing it constantly.

Here's what's going on:

I just had something really strange (and not good) happen to my cart. I fear it's controller issues. I was moving forward with my foot on the "go" pedal, going slightly downhill. I took my foot off the pedal and stepped on the brake, and my brakes locked up. Back tires skidded and felt like it was going to put me through the windshield. I kept trying to move forward and every single time I barely stepped on the brake, it would lock up very hard and skid. Then, I started moving forward and every time I would take my foot off the "go" pedal, the brakes would lock. I wasn't even touching the brake pedal and the brakes were still locking up! Then, I noticed that the brake pedal was stuck all the way back and solid as a rock. It felt as if the parking brake was constantly on in the backwards position. This situation lasted for about 15 minutes. I even put the cart in neutral, turned it off, and switched it to tow, but the brakes were still locked! After turning everything back on, it did it once or twice more, and suddenly it stopped. The brake pedal went back to normal and didn't lock up anymore. Seems like the controller suddenly went crazy for a short period of time.

I sure am glad this didn't happen when I was going fast. If it did, it would have been really bad. I would have had a lot of damage and I'm not sure what would have happened to me. One thing's for sure... My cart has some unbelievable brakes and stops on a dime.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this matter? I'll tell you what... This really freaked me out today. I sure am glad I wasn't going fast when it happened. Would have been pretty bad ugly. Am I really way off track thinking that this is related to the controller? The controller does control the regen braking system. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Balthazar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Brakes Locking Up...

It sounds to me like a mechanical issue...
I have heard of loose u bolts causing this, have you at least checked to make sure they are all 4 tight? That's where I'd start. Then check under the cart and look at the brake pedal, linkage, cables, and wheels. Make sure everything looks ok and nothing is binding.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
It sounds to me like a mechanical issue...
I have heard of loose u bolts causing this, have you at least checked to make sure they are all 4 tight? That's where I'd start. Then check under the cart and look at the brake pedal, linkage, cables, and wheels. Make sure everything looks ok and nothing is binding.
Sounds like good advice. Will do.

The thing that really freaked me out is when the brakes started locking up even when I didn't even apply the brakes! They would lock up when I took my foot off the accelerator. When I stepped down on the accelerator, the cart moved just fine, but as soon as I took my foot off... BAM! Did this for about 15 minutes. Suddenly, the problem went away. Weird...
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

What happens is when the Regen braking kicks in, the axle twists from the change in speed and it pulls the cables tight and locks the brakes
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFanatic View Post
What happens is when the Regen braking kicks in, the axle twists from the change in speed and it pulls the cables tight and locks the brakes
Thanks! Really interesting!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Sounds like your cart may be set on 'harsh' regen mode. It will attempt to slow the cart whenever you take your foot off the go pedal.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Sounds like the axle twist. Back the cart up and hit the brakes hard. That will likely loosen the brakes. Then when you have them loose check the U bolts.

If you have the speed sensor hooked up and the second solenoid has been removed the dynamic braking will be very strong. This only happens when you are moving above 9 or 12 mph. Not sure which.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Balthazar00
Getting Wild

Yup... It was axle twist. My mechanic had a difficult time setting the brake cable and tightening up the U-bolts. They kept loosening up a little after every test ride. Those bolts are not tempered steel and I'm wondering if they are stretching. Would be nice if they went to a 4-bolt system for this particular kind of lift.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Good deal. You will get it lined out now.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

The U-Bolts DO stretch over time, and can completely fail and snap if not kept tight. Don't believe me? Check out this thread:
Always check your U bolts on your lifted CC sparkies!

As for the 4 U-Bolt setup, I have heard that other members have been able to successfully purchase the Allsports rear lift - which has the 4 U-Bolt setup - from Tom at Carts Parts Plus (site sponsor)
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car