lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Speed question

Hello all, 96 cc ser # A9607-487269, Has the potentiometer on the frame next to go pedal. batteries at 50 Volts

Is 12 to 13 mph normal or slow on flat ground for a 96 48v stock cart?
Drops to 4 mph up a good hill, volts drop to 46.5 then climb up to 47 when back on level ground. Parked and volts went to 50 in just a few minutes.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed question

Seems normal. Golf courses don't want their drunk hackers going faster than that.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok thanks. We'll just drink more beer and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When a 36V cart drops below36V it has issues. I'm going to assume a 48 will not run well at 45V. I would charge the whole pack and then unplug the cart. Check and note Voltage readings for ea battery. If one is faulty, it will draw the pack down. After one hour check all the voltages again. If one is low, be sure the acid is full first, and not leaking anywhere to the frame. Acid will allow power to enter the frame. Check a negative terminal to the frame for volts. If you have a reading to the frame you may need to clean the batteries and frame from acid. Use baking soda and neutralize the acid. Wear eye protection!
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

12-13 mph is normal/stock. You numbers appear fairly OK - 4 mph up a good hill doesn't sound great, but maybe a "good" hill to you is big-time-steep, which would then be fine. Cruising at 47 and recovering to 50v is more or less what a good pack would do after...say...a couple miles run.

One thing to check is that all your BIG cables are clean tight, and not corroded. I own a '96 and replaced ALL my big cables (incl. the big ones leading to the motor) a few years ago with 4 ga. because I noticed a bit of corrosion was working its way up some of the cables. That drops their efficiency noticeably. Hills put a bigger demand on how many amps (vs volts) the cables can deliver. Stock cables are only 6 ga. which are "just adequate" at best.

If you have a series cart - the condition of the cables is even more important, since the cable runs are longer. Series carts are often upgraded to 2 ga. to eliminate any possibility of the cables impacting performance.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I had a 96 like yours, and the potentiometer was turned all the way down. If you take the cover off, you will see a rheostat lever that you can loosen and adjust. You may want to play around with it to see if you can get the speed to improve- it did mine.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help. This isn't my cart. I live next to a golf course and the neighbors keep me busy. I replaced all the pack cables up to the solenoid and put a new end on the negative to the obc. I'll get it charged up and make a few test runs. I'll look at the pot and think about tinkering with it. I don't want to mess it up and create new problems. Yep I'm another guy who knows enough to get in trouble But you guys always have the answer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car