lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #21
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question on Speed

ScottyB got back to me with the following:
"Use pkg 485 = 500 amp Alltrax SPM control and 400 amp severe duty solenoid. SW202 reversing contactor conversion kit (Replaces old F&R switch). A complete 2gauge cable set. And a custom built in the motor # ES-51A for 20 mph on 36v and 25mph on 48v later."
To me, it seems like a lot to only gain 2mph (with my current 36V) system. However, I am completely ignorant when it comes to electric motors, so what do I know?

Based on what I have learned on this thread (which is a lot, and I thank you guys for that), I am thinking of going with his suggestion of replacing the cables, the controller, and the FR switch, but keeping the existing motor. What do you guys think? Will I see an improvement or just fry the existing motor?
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobx View Post
ScottyB got back to me with the following:
"Use pkg 485 = 500 amp Alltrax SPM control and 400 amp severe duty solenoid. SW202 reversing contactor conversion kit (Replaces old F&R switch). A complete 2gauge cable set. And a custom built in the motor # ES-51A for 20 mph on 36v and 25mph on 48v later."
To me, it seems like a lot to only gain 2mph (with my current 36V) system. However, I am completely ignorant when it comes to electric motors, so what do I know?

Based on what I have learned on this thread (which is a lot, and I thank you guys for that), I am thinking of going with his suggestion of replacing the cables, the controller, and the FR switch, but keeping the existing motor. What do you guys think? Will I see an improvement or just fry the existing motor?
SEE.....I told ya the pkg 485! LOL I knew what he would tell ya....its the package I got from him and I LOVE IT!!

as far as the motor goes.....it will get you 7 mph....your at 18 with 36v....the motor he suggested will get you to 25 at 48V, you did say you are going up to 48v, right? and that motor is made/designed for up to 48v......now the stocker would last a while in 400 amps......but at 500 maps it will fail sooner..... which means, somewhere down the road when its most likely to fail, will most certainly be when you and the family are all loaded on your cart going to the beach.....AND you are half way over the bridge. FOOD FOR THOUGHT. and an explanation to the wife WHY you need a need motor!! LOL
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #23
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
SEE.....I told ya the pkg 485! LOL I knew what he would tell ya....its the package I got from him and I LOVE IT!!

as far as the motor goes.....it will get you 7 mph....your at 18 with 36v....the motor he suggested will get you to 25 at 48V, you did say you are going up to 48v, right? and that motor is made/designed for up to 48v......now the stocker would last a while in 400 amps......but at 500 maps it will fail sooner..... which means, somewhere down the road when its most likely to fail, will most certainly be when you and the family are all loaded on your cart going to the beach.....AND you are half way over the bridge. FOOD FOR THOUGHT. and an explanation to the wife WHY you need a need motor!! LOL
HAHA, I like it. I am going to a 48V system, but not for a couple of years. My intent is to wait for the current pack to expire before I upgrade (trying to spread the cost out a little bit). I guess what I found interesting is that I would only gain 2mph with the suggested upgrade (on 36V), which made me think why change the motor? I did look up your Raptor motor......seems like it will get me to 25 at 36V.....hmmmm
Old 06-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I didn't read every word in every post in this thread, but skimming through them, I didn't see any mention of tire height and in the picture of the cart posted, it looks to have tires taller than stock (18").

The way I read the specs on the motor, with and adequate controller and cabling, at 36V it should give about 17 MPH with stock height tires, so at 48V you ought to get about 22.6 MPH on stock height tires.

Let's stick with 36V for the moment and compare speeds with various tire heights.
18" = 17 MPH
19" = 18 MPH
20" = 18.9 MPH
21" = 19.8 MPH
22" = 20.8 MPH
23" = 21.7 MPH
24" = 22.7 MPH

You are at 36V and getting 18 MPH, so unless your tires are 19" tall (and they appear to be much taller), something is costing you some speed. (I suspect you have tires whose max inflation pressure is 10 PSI or less, which tend to knock a few MPH off the top end)

Find and fix whatever that is and at 48V, you'll approach on the various tire heights listed below.

@48V
18" = 22.6 MPH
19" = 23.8 MPH
20" = 25.1 MPH
21" = 26.4 MPH
22" = 27.6 MPH
23" = 28.9 MPH
24" = 30.1 MPH
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #25
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I didn't read every word in every post in this thread, but skimming through them, I didn't see any mention of tire height and in the picture of the cart posted, it looks to have tires taller than stock (18").

The way I read the specs on the motor, with and adequate controller and cabling, at 36V it should give about 17 MPH with stock height tires, so at 48V you ought to get about 22.6 MPH on stock height tires.

Let's stick with 36V for the moment and compare speeds with various tire heights.
18" = 17 MPH
19" = 18 MPH
20" = 18.9 MPH
21" = 19.8 MPH
22" = 20.8 MPH
23" = 21.7 MPH
24" = 22.7 MPH

You are at 36V and getting 18 MPH, so unless your tires are 19" tall (and they appear to be much taller), something is costing you some speed. (I suspect you have tires whose max inflation pressure is 10 PSI or less, which tend to knock a few MPH off the top end)

Find and fix whatever that is and at 48V, you'll approach on the various tire heights listed below.

@48V
18" = 22.6 MPH
19" = 23.8 MPH
20" = 25.1 MPH
21" = 26.4 MPH
22" = 27.6 MPH
23" = 28.9 MPH
24" = 30.1 MPH
Interesting, the tires are 22" and they are the low psi type. I am replacing those rims/tires ASAP. Those numbers you posted, mind if I ask how you got them? Are there any reduction gears or anything in these axles, or are is it direct output from the motor. In other words, are the rpms generated by the motor equivalent to the rpms at the wheels?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Interesting, the tires are 22" and they are the low psi type. I am replacing those rims/tires ASAP. Those numbers you posted, mind if I ask how you got them? Are there any reduction gears or anything in these axles, or are is it direct output from the motor. In other words, are the rpms generated by the motor equivalent to the rpms at the wheels?
The stock gears in the differential have a 12.44:1 ratio, so the motor spins 12.44 time each time the axle spin once. The tire rotates once every time the axle rotates once, so the cart travels a distance equal to its circumference.

The specs on the motor you have indicates it'll propel a 36V cart at 17 MPH, which is 89,760 ft/hour or 1,496 ft/minute. Divide tire circumference into that (56.549" for an 18" tire) and then multiply be 12.44 for motor RPM.

17 MPH on 18" at 36V is 3,949 motor RPM and if you increase the tire height to 22", the speed comes in someplace between 20.7 and 20.8 MPH.

I put together a spreadsheet that does all the math, I just plug in the variables.
There are also Tire Height vs Speed calculators on-line.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #27
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
HAHA, I like it. I am going to a 48V system, but not for a couple of years. My intent is to wait for the current pack to expire before I upgrade (trying to spread the cost out a little bit). I guess what I found interesting is that I would only gain 2mph with the suggested upgrade (on 36V), which made me think why change the motor? I did look up your Raptor motor......seems like it will get me to 25 at 36V.....hmmmm
well the RAPTOR had gotten me to 27.....and I'm at 36V AND on 23" tires. it is a speed motor.....and its does the job....seeing as I am on flat ground ALL the time.....and I too had already bought my pack when I started my up-grade.....SO ,when its time to go to 48v, I'm already set for the jump in speed and torque, the only other ting to do would be to get the correct resistor and diode for the solenoid, which will be about $3....lol.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO