lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Hula67
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 Engine

Any suggestions on replacing my G9 engine? It is blowing oil pretty good it runs but is tired. 1st option is to remove and send to Georgia to have it rebuilt. 2nd option is to ask fellow G9 owners what they think, I was thinking maybe a Big Block but do not know where to look for one at a good price. Any help would be great Id like to stay around the $800 range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 194135_523667847649593_1567786601_o.jpg (235.6 KB, 0 views)
Hula67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G9 Engine

If you want to stay in the $800 range and have a simple upgrade check out http://www.vegascarts.com/
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Send it north to Michigan to plowmans carts. Call them Monday and ask to speak to don the owner. He is the yamaha guru of go fast and performance when it comes to yamaha carts. He can give you more options as well.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If its never been rebuilt you can usually put rings in and hone it. If its been done it may need to be bored and new piston. Its no different than another small engine far as rebuilding them. If you have a yamaha cart dealer close ours stocks rebuilt blocks you can swap one cheaper or take the cart in but that costs you. Plowmans is in front with yamaha carts, no doubt about that.

The g2/9 typically lose the oil ring and smoke oil, but the compression rings still work. Then it runs ok but smokes. Mine did the same thing.

I had the same issue back then it was 600 to swap at the dealer (for a bored engine all new bearings/etc). Still a few hundred for all the parts and me do it (back then). It was 300 for a 420 clone and twice the power, 50 for a clutch adapter, $20 for a car airbox and muffler at the boneyard, maybe 30 for other misc. parts, welded a mount in and had a clone cart with a new engine that would spin the tires! It was awesome so I did another one with some mods and its even better. I had around 600 into that complete with ported/cut head, timing key, 1.3 ratio rockers, hd springs, robertson header, SS car muffler and hangars, another car airbox piped to the front, kevlar hd belt, etc.

So if you ask me I'd say either put a 420 clone in it or setup up to the vegas engine that is nicer, he has mounts and stuff if you use another clone. In reality all you need is a timing key and hd springs and it should run pretty good with no governor. You can just about put a clone V-twin in there for under 800, at least I could because a mount is easy to weld up. 600 for the engine and 200 left for exhaust and airbox replacement, etc. However there are not mods for the twin yet so you can't rev it hard, so you lose the big top speed of a clone. The stock clone 420 I did will hit 31mph on 22s, the mod one will hit 38mph gps so far.

It can be difficult to keep them as quiet, will take some exhaust work to do that. And it depends on how much you want to wrench on it of course. With a Vegas kit a swap is much easier, but it is some screwing around. A stock engine you can pull out in near 15minutes and put it back in not much longer. I spent hours and days on my clones, but I was doing it all from scratch too. The second one was faster but still a project making all the stuff myself.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Hula67
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks everyone I think I will call plowmans and check my options I'm not a guy that turns a wrench I pay or trade for everything I have done to my cart so sending the original south or north might be my best option unless I find a big block that hooks up with ease. You guys are great thanks again for the help and thanks to my guy in Ohio I recently had a transaction with for reaching out to me on Facebook and offering your advice. I love working with carts but I'm more of a guy who makes them look good rather then run good lol. Anymore suggestions would be great and I'll keep everyone updated, should be by Tuesday shipped out or new one bought.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I'm like you I can fix just about anything on the cart as long as it's not inside the engine or the rear transaxle
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If you get the whole vegascarts kit and engine it is just a bolt in.There site has complete installation instructions with pictures.Easier than ever.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have the same problem. I checked pricing last month on the 3 options... send it south for rebuild, send it to plowmans ( I live a couple hours away) or drop the big block from vegas carts in.... prices were nearly the same.... now I am saving up my pennies to have Plowman do the work... give him a call...

his turn-around time was extremely fast for what he does to it.

good luck.. now if I can just find a replacement driver side pillar cover...
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
Hula67
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Im looking at this one http://www.vegascarts.com/product-p/vrx46-a2.htm is that just a bolt in or do I need to buy more?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

here is everything you would need to drop it in
http://www.vegascarts.com/product-p/25kitg2.htm
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha