lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Would these stock parts fit convert to my 1990 marathon

Stock controller, FNR switch and solenoid off a 1996 ezgo TXT that had a series motor and did NOT have a run tow switch.

Found a local guy upgrading and might be able to convert my cart at a decent price until I can pay 1k to buy the good stuff from ScottyB. I know I will have to buy a few things from Scotty that he includes in his kit to make this work. But If I can get this cheap enough it may be worth it for me.
biggie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Would these stock parts fit convert to my 1990 marathon

you will also need the correct speed control (gas pedal set up )to make controller work
Old 08-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
you will also need the correct speed control (gas pedal set up )to make controller work
Good point. I wonder if that is part of ScottyBs kit. I bet it is.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just checked his site...direct quote from the conversion kit. These are the things I would still have to buy from him if he would sell them.

"These component packages contain the mechanical throttle conversions, mounting brackets & hardware "
Old 08-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The stock controller (Curtis 1206) from a 1996 TXT series drive uses an ITS (Inductive Throttle System) type throttle, which is, at best, very difficult to retrofit into a Marathon.

The Marathon carts with factory installed electronic speed controllers used a Curtis 1204 or similar controller, which use a 0-5k throttle type.

The F/R and solenoid in the 1996 TXT are roughly the same electrically as what already exists in the Marathon. The cables on the F/R are wired differently on a resistor cart than they are on a controller cart because the resistor drive switched the direction of current flow in the armature for reverse while the controller drive switches the current flow in the stator.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The stock controller (Curtis 1206) from a 1996 TXT series drive uses an ITS (Inductive Throttle System) type throttle, which is, at best, very difficult to retrofit into a Marathon.

The Marathon carts with factory installed electronic speed controllers used a Curtis 1204 or similar controller, which use a 0-5k throttle type.

The F/R and solenoid in the 1996 TXT are roughly the same electrically as what already exists in the Marathon. The cables on the F/R are wired differently on a resistor cart than they are on a controller cart because the resistor drive switched the direction of current flow in the armature for reverse while the controller drive switches the current flow in the stator.
Thanks for the info. At this point it's moot bc I emailed Scottyb. And he won't sell me the parts I need from the conversion kit. Said he does sell partial kits.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

So if I can figure out the throltte conversion this stuff should work?

I will need a wiring haress for the controller but I think he has that
Old 08-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
crash test dummy

see if guy has the ITS (Inductive Throttle System) type throttle... even if it don't come with it you can see how it is installed

Last edited by crash test dummy; 08-28-2015 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: added photo
Old 08-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
see if guy has the ITS (Inductive Throttle System) type throttle... even if it don't come with it you can see how it is installed
I will talk to him in a bit. Thanks. You got a picture of one handy?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
crash test dummy

yes !!

97 ezgo

90 ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO