lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Battery Charge Indicator Incorrect

I tried searching but must not be using the correct terms.

We just got a 2012 Club Car Precedent, street legal, we bought on consignment. Loving the cart, has an Allsports lift, watering system, other accessories, etc. Looks like it tops out at exactly 25 MPH per GPS.

Anyway, cart was delivered fully charged, per the indicator. We ran it pretty good the first night, then again two days later. The Battery Charge Indicator seemed to show we were still at 3/4 "tank" (so to speak) so we didn't charge it. Girlfriend tried to take the cart to pick up kids the next day and it died on her.

My question is, is there a way to calibrate this thing so it reads more correctly? Ours looks something like this but I'm not home right now so I can't say if it's this exact one. Ours has a couple of bars of yellow over on the left and the rest are green.
Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Charge Indicator Incorrect

First, Always charge your batteries every day.

Never put the cart out for the night with partially discharged batteries.

Those "gas gauge" type meters are a pretty worthless indicator of battery pack SOC. If should add a digital voltmeter if You want to keep an eye on how much energy may be left on the pack.

The meter that You have should reset to full after you charge the batteries, there is no calibration.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

To put it another way - running an electric cart until its "nearly-out-of-gas" is the quickest way we know, to damage/kill a perfectly good set of batteries. Golf cart batteries work longest/best when kept full. The OEM charger won't over-charge them - it only puts back what was used.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Gotcha. Thanks for the replies. We're keeping it on the tit from now on. Without knowing the meter was worthless I was operating under the assumption that the cart was still nearly "full".

I see a meter on ScottyB's website, would that be a better part to buy if we want to keep an eye on things?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

gotta agree that the cart always needs to be recharged after each use I plug mine up even if all I did was run to the mailbox and back.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_s View Post
Gotcha. Thanks for the replies. We're keeping it on the tit from now on. Without knowing the meter was worthless I was operating under the assumption that the cart was still nearly "full".

I see a meter on ScottyB's website, would that be a better part to buy if we want to keep an eye on things?
yes !! just installed mine last week
Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_s View Post

That is a pretty good meter that lots of folks use.

This recent thread has some different charts you can print and keep in the cart for reference (post #4 has a compact version).

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1201432
Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

So is there a good way to know if we FUBAR'd the batteries by running them down?

By the time I got there it had enough power to get it on the trailer and back off again. When we plugged it in the charger buzzed for a few hours and then stopped, so I'm assuming it got charged ok.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are fine, Lead Acid batteries are not that fragile

You just don't want to get in the habit of doing it.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
natez
Not Yet Wild

So I bought one of those "meter" type gauges off ebay and experienced the exact same thing. The only thing I could do to reset it is disconnect the switched wire and connect it directly to the battery. I don't know how the gauge is supposed to reset itself but it didn't matter, I threw it out and got a digital voltage read out and use that for reference. I kinda know where the batteries are charge wise both stand still and under full power after driving around for a while.

Nathan
natez is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car