lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Northern Boy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Unhappy 1986 Yamaha G2 Secondary Clutch Uh-oh...

Hey guys n gals - i have a 1986 yamaha g2, its lifted 4", running 20" off road tires. I have replaced the primary clutch with a high performance comet from CPP. it works great
So i thought i would beef up the secondary clutch. so i ordered a jakes power kit, new ramp shoes, and a new stock belt. well after installing all of this today i now have both secondary sheaves bent. you can see the wobble in them when you push the cart forward with the seat open.
So my question is. now what? obviously need to buy more parts. but lets say my budget allows 300$ right now for parts what do i buy? im scared to buy anything at this point.. seems im making it worse by trying to gain more hill climbing abilities.

Please Help.. Your responses are appreciated!
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1986 Yamaha G2 Secondary Clutch Uh-oh...

Call Plowman and tell him what you have and want to do . I bought his performance kit cause I to wanted to be able to pull hills better. He sold me his yellow spring along with his secondary clutch and his belt. You can get his kit less than your budget.

I am running 22's with a 4" lift kit. Pulls hills great and still has good top end speed.
BamaG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Northern Boy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

i am a little concerned about the fact that the high torque springs have no tabs for the holes b3 setting, i understand that b3 is for preload, and the stiffer springs do not require preload.. but what about keeping the ramp shoes pushed against the ramps....??
Old 11-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Boy View Post
i am a little concerned about the fact that the high torque springs have no tabs for the holes b3 setting, i understand that b3 is for preload, and the stiffer springs do not require preload.. but what about keeping the ramp shoes pushed against the ramps....??
Not necessary, the shoes will be in contact when under power.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would start with a cut secondary sheave, they have them at CPP. The cut will give you more low gear for really steep hills. The CPP one is heavy not a cheap thin one, about 85 so not bad on the budget and really if yours is worn (dished from belt wear) it should be replaced and odds are you will not wear this one out. The fixed side on mine is steel it never wears, never bends unless someone bends it. I have seen some carts with an alum fixed. It can be normal for the sheaves to wobble just a little but not much. Never use any tools on the sheaves only remove using the center hub on any clutch. I do wedge a 2x4 against them to help assembly, but its wood and I don't angle it over its just a spacer to hold it in the center.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
Northern Boy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

i have ordered both new sheaves, and that should complete the total rebuild of the secondary clutch. i cant find a umax spring anywhere... my dealer is a powersports dealer so they have to order golf stuff. but they cant find umax in the computer catalog... so i am still not sure what spring i put in.. either stock on b3, or the jakes power spring i have.. also. should i use the shaft spacer instead of the snap ring on the input shaft??
Old 11-16-2015, 02:59 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

A UMAX2 (the lifted model) is also known as a G28a. Heres the part number you are looking for "90508-45849-00"
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Boy View Post
i have ordered both new sheaves, and that should complete the total rebuild of the secondary clutch. i cant find a umax spring anywhere... my dealer is a powersports dealer so they have to order golf stuff. but they cant find umax in the computer catalog... so i am still not sure what spring i put in.. either stock on b3, or the jakes power spring i have.. also. should i use the shaft spacer instead of the snap ring on the input shaft??
Yep.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
Northern Boy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
A UMAX2 (the lifted model) is also known as a G28a. Heres the part number you are looking for "90508-45849-00"
Wow thank you so much.
What setting do you guys use for that spring? still b2 or b3?
Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

B3.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha