lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Dburley
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charging 48v Precedent while on vacation.

We plan to be gone for 5-6 weeks this winter and would like some advice on what we should do about charging our cart. We usually unplug all our electronic equipment when gone for any length of time to protect them from potential damage due to power outages/surges etc.

Cart, 48v, 4, twelve volt batteries is stored in heated (40 degrees F) garage.
Outdoor winter temps average in the teens. Batteries were new spring of 2015.

So my question is; is it safe to unplug the charger for the 5-6 weeks we are gone or do we risk damage to the batteries?
Thanks for your help.
Dburley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
kendeiss
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charging 48v Precedent while on vacation.

We leave our C.C. 48 V 4 Twelve Volts for 7 months up North in an unheated building disconnect Neg. and Positive terms prior to storage be sure that it is fully charged>
We also leave our C.C. 6 Eight Volt 5 months in a hot Florida Garage same procedure

Both carts have Trojan Batteries the Cart up North Batteries 5 years old the Fl. Cart's Batteries are going on 13 years old
kendeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburley View Post
We plan to be gone for 5-6 weeks this winter and would like some advice on what we should do about charging our cart. We usually unplug all our electronic equipment when gone for any length of time to protect them from potential damage due to power outages/surges etc.

Cart, 48v, 4, twelve volt batteries is stored in heated (40 degrees F) garage.
Outdoor winter temps average in the teens. Batteries were new spring of 2015.

So my question is; is it safe to unplug the charger for the 5-6 weeks we are gone or do we risk damage to the batteries?
Thanks for your help.
Most here including myself will tell you that you are better off leaving the charger hooked up 24/7 as you risk more damage leaving them unattended than you do leaving them plugged in... My cart sits unused for 28 plus days all the time, it is plugged into a DPI charger with float so it is ALWAYS being charged.... This will net you the longest life in my opinion. Here on board ship we keep batteries under constant charge too....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
geonjay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendeiss View Post
Both carts have Trojan Batteries the Cart up North Batteries 5 years old the Fl. Cart's Batteries are going on 13 years old
13 years? Are you doing anything special?
geonjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
kendeiss
Getting Wild
Club Car

Correction they will be 10 years old(2006 Trojan T-875) in Feb! No I do not do anything special other then keeping them charged.
kendeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendeiss View Post
Correction they will be 10 years old(2006 Trojan T-875) in Feb! No I do not do anything special other then keeping them charged.
Sometimes ya just get lucky.... Don't jinx yourself though...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Dburley
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charging 48v Precedent while on vacation.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm most worried that we could have a fire if some thing goes wrong with the charging system while we're away. Second concern is potential damage to the batteries if they somehow fall below an adequate charge. I'm leaning to not charging them while gone and disconnecting the positive and negative cables to head off a potential draw.

Any special sequence that I should use to disconnect the cables?

Dave
Dburley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I've always disconnected my pack during the 5 to 6 months in winter storage at my campground,
due to the electrical lines being almost original from the 1970's!

Negative first... then Positive!

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

My concern with leaving carts plugged in, unattended, is the water. If the water does evaoporate or get low, and the charger comes on, possible fire.

This happens out here where i live in the hot desert, not cold like PA.

Also i find with new trojans, after the iniatial water top off ( about 2 weeks after installing) they ( trojans) go for months almost a year without needing any water added.

I don't think 5-6 weeks will be a problem at all, if new and fully charged before you leave.

Side note : I take care of alot snowbirds carts, and if you can sell them a battery watering system, with a gravity feed bottle, then leave the dpi charger plugged in,
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car