lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2001 ds series cart not charging

I have read the sticky on bypassing the OBC and I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them. A friend brought me his 2001 DS series cart it will not charge he thinks he may have had a lightning strike. I have tried it on a known good charger and it would not charge. I am thinking the obc is bad. I gave him the obc reset from the stickies and he said it charged one time but then wouldn't charge again (not sure if it actually charged). I tried it on my charger nothing reset obc nothing. If I bypass the obc will the powerdrive charger still work to charge? Itried his charger on my cart nothing is there and internal reset or fuse on the charger that I should be looking at? Thanks all for your help.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ds series cart not charging

"I tried his charger on my cart nothing is there " does mean to say his charger does not work on your cart?
And again (for clarification) your good charger does not work on his cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

exactly scotty my good charger does not work on his cart, and his charger will not work on my good cart. I am thinking that both his charger and his obc were fried in the lightning strike. My biggest question is will the powerdrive II work to charge a cart that the obc has been bypassed on. Trying to give him a ballpark of what he is going to have to spend to get this fixed ie new obc and repair charger, bypass obc and repair charger, or bypass obc and get new charger. Thank you for all your help.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Good time to go with a DPI charger.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok so I am back at it again with this cart. As stated previously the OBC is shot will not work with a known good charger, and the charger appears to have a bad timing circuit will not work on a known good cart. I have suggested that he simply bypass the obc and get a DPI charger. However that is not in his budget at this time. So my new question is, if I jump out the timer as is shown in the lester troubleshooting guide terminal 1 and 3 will I still need to bypass the obc to charge the batteries? I know that jumping the timer is not an ideal way to run the charger, but it will give him the ability to at least put enough of a charge on the batteries to get to the course where he can then grab one of the clubs carts to use while playing. Thank you all once again for your help.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The grey wire circuit has one if not two fuses in it,...
glassk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Problem solved made temporary bypass. Jumpered terminal 1 and 3 on timer, checked voltage at cord end getting 57.6 from transformer. Did not bypass obc plugged cord into cart then plugged in ac plug cart is charging. Also installed a DMM across the pack so that pack voltage can be monitored during charging. I know that this is not ideal as the owner could forget to unplug the cart when it reaches a full charge but for a temporary fix I think it will work until he can work a new DPI charger into his budget. Thank you everyone for your assistance I know one old man that is going to be very happy to have his mobility back.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
greg-g
Gone Wild

So he can't fix his cart because he doesn't have the money but he can go to the course rent a cart and play a round. I would not jump out anything he'll come after you when he screws it up
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Greg it is not like that I have known this gentleman for 12 years, and he is an upstanding man. He is very aware that this is a temp fix, as for going to the course and renting a cart that is not the case at our course if you are already on the private cart plan and your cart is not working they will let you use one of theirs free of charge.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
Greg it is not like that I have known this gentleman for 12 years, and he is an upstanding man. He is very aware that this is a temp fix, as for going to the course and renting a cart that is not the case at our course if you are already on the private cart plan and your cart is not working they will let you use one of theirs free of charge.
I know it sounded harsh but wait until he forgets to unplug it the cart catches fire in his garage and burn his house down.
I know this is thinking on the other end of the cycle but it can happened, Will happen and has happened
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car