lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
UCM_11STL
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 Club Car Gas engine knocking

Just bought 1988 club car gas, and original owner told me his kids ran the engine dry of oil. The cart runs now although with knocking noise I am not planning on driving it around until issue is fixed. I am a new cart owner and pretty handy mechanically and I am looking for suggestions on where to start. Hard to describe the sounds, what is most likely the piston, crank shaft, or cam? I know cam issues will be expensive, so any suggestions will help thanks!
UCM_11STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Club Car Gas engine knocking

A lack of oil causes all sorts of damage. Knocking sounds means pretty severe damage, so I'm guessing you will need a full rebuild kit including oversized piston/rings (and having your cylinder bored out), new rod, new crankshaft, and possibly even a new camshaft.

It will probably be cheaper just to replace the engine unless you have access to a machine shop and discounted parts. KF82 rebuild kits aren't cheap.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It's probably a loose rod on the crankshaft knocking up against the engine block. Here's my thread where I basically was where you are now back in August of 2012:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...-club-car.html

Like you, I was very handy mechanically but knew little about these carts when I got mine. Now I feel like I could build one from scratch after all the ups and downs I've had with this thing.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's another thread that got into the motor disassembly:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...oval-kf82.html

If you look at post #7 in the thread above, you can see the spot where the knocking was occurring (photos of both my cart and another member's cart that had the same issue). It's the area of the block right under the starter/generator. You may want to have a look to see if yours is doing this.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It's worth noting that through all the trouble I went through with my motor, I was lucky enough to find another running motor from a member here who was doing an engine upgrade, so I never did need to get my original motor running properly. But if I didn't find that other motor, there were some other relatively affordable options I was going to explore, such as sending the crank and new rod down to a J&M Golf Carts GA for re-machining:

http://www.jandmgolfcarts.com/engineprice.htm
Old 08-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
UCM_11STL
Not Yet Wild

Thank you guys for the quick response. Yes I knew going into this that the complete rebuild kits are expensive. I do have GX390 Honda I am debating on putting in, although those kits are just as expensive.

I plan to take out motor and see what wrong and go from there. I would consider buying another engine if someone was selling one. Is there a for sale section on the forum or do I just need to search for topic?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes there's a for sale section. You might want to also try lurking in the big block swap forums, you may be able to jump in and ask a member what they're doing with their old stock motor (if it's still running). These motors came in gas Club Cars from 1984-1991.

I was lucky, a member close to me was reading my thread and offered up his motor for sale.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

A guy in the thread below just spoke up that he has a good running KF82 he's willing to part with. Don't know where you are or if he's willing to ship:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...iter-coil.html
Old 08-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

How about this? http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...90-engine.html. The 92 FE290 used the same rear end, cradle and all.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
UCM_11STL
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will look into these!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car