lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Default Rack & Pinion 96 carry all 1

Okay I am thinking My rack & pinion is in need of some work or replacement. The symptoms are very easy, steering wheel is extremely sloppy and its time to do something about it, it seems they are rebuild able but I wonder if it would not be better to replace the entire unit along with the ball joints. Any advice or opinions/experience with this would be appreciated
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rack & Pinion 96 carry all 1

You may be right about it being the steering rack, but before you go too far: have you checked the U-joints in the coupler between the steering shaft and the rack & pinion? I see those go bad WAY more often than the rack itself.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
You may be right about it being the steering rack, but before you go too far: have you checked the U-joints in the coupler between the steering shaft and the rack & pinion? I see those go bad WAY more often than the rack itself.

I'm pretty sure that's okay as I had them in my hand about 3 weeks ago and the seemed okay. Is there another way to tell because I am guessing the rack/pinion isn't cheap but it seems like that is the issue
Old 11-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Other than have someone else rock the steering wheel a bit while you look underneath to see where the extra movement is happening. But it looks like the rack may be less expensive than I would have guessed.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Its very very rare for a Club Car steering rack to be bad. Loose A arms, worn tie rod end, or worn out bushings would be the most common. Check it close.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Its very very rare for a Club Car steering rack to be bad. Loose A arms, worn tie rod end, or worn out bushings would be the most common. Check it close.
Sounds like a plan thanks
Old 11-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

The slop is definitely in the rack and pinion as I can hold the ujoint and turn the steering wheel back and forth quite a bit before resistance at the u joint. Anyone ever change one out(rack and pinion)?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've done a couple, but normally because of crash damage. Fairly straightforward. The worst part is usually dealing with the coupler / u joint section. Unbolt the old one, bolt in the new one. Of course a separator helps for the one tie rod end. You don't really need to take the rest of the front end apart to do it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car