lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 05 Carryall 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedonesm View Post
I know this might be stupid question and I'm a pain in the *** for all these questions but when you say smart charger, are most of the chargers out there smart chargers now a days?

What makes the difference between the chargers?
How does one know if they have a smart charger?

Is it because of the Sense wire socket?
The charger senses the voltage through that wire to start the charger?

What happens if there is no voltage on that wire as well, then what do you do will it still work?
Factory chargers have no "brain". The OBC controls charging. The smart chargers have a brain in them to detect charging time/amount etc. the DPI accusesne (must be accusense) is the most common standard upgraded charger. The charger also has a float mode that keeps the Batteries on a trickle charge 24-7 which is much better if you don't use your cart daily. A standard charger shuts off and doesn't come on again for almost a month.

Lester summit onboard chargers seem to be the onboard popular equivalent.

I would contact David Hicks at
http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/store If onboard charger is your preference or Scotty b at cartsunlimited.com who sells the DPI. Both site sponsors will set you up right.
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

ok I have a Links series lester electrical serial# 301500430 charger for it just wondered how it worked on the golf cart if it would work if I bypassed the OBC and wired to the pack battery.

so essentially it isn't using the sense wire if it would work then since I'm only getting voltage on 2 plug socket wires + and - the sense wire has no voltage positive or negative.

charger is good I've tested on other golf carts and it works for them. just trying to see what I'm missing if I do bypass the OBC and charger still doesn't work for me.

Last edited by giftedonesm; 03-06-2017 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: More information to add
giftedonesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Lester Links series should be a fully automated charger.

The "sense" wire is how the OBC controls (turns ON/OFF) the "power supply" type external chargers, it is not used with the automated chargers.

You do need to wire the OBC by-pass, which includes the charger receptacle negative wire to pack negative, so Your new charger can work properly.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #24
giftedonesm
Not Yet Wild

After about an hour of trying to figure out why the charger wasn't working with the new hook up I found that the sense wire fuse wasn't making a good connection but when metering the circuit for continuity... everything was showing good but no voltage was coming through to the sense wire socket on the receptacle ... metered every side and came up with nothing and jiggled the wire connections to see if loss of connection and couldn't find a problem til we tore apart the fuse from the receptacle and isolated it to find a hairline of a difference between the terminals that the fuse fits in not making connection... could of been the problem all along replaced the fuse assembly/connection and it started charging....waiting on the MCOR to arrive to my door to install then to test and see if she'll come alive.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
giftedonesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car