lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
acramer
Not Yet Wild

Default overcharged Maybe?

My batteries Trojan T875 are 6-7 years old. Golf Cart is not used for golfing and used very little. 6 times a month. Anyway about 4 years ago my computer went out and I have been bypassing it and charging for so many hours each time by a timer. Now I think my batteries maybe overcharged. I cant go more than a few miles before my meter is showing red. So I think I have very little charge but I check and have about 8.6 on 4 batteries and 8.3 on the other 2. Can I Discharge batteries some how and recharge? or What?
acramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: overcharged Maybe?

At 6-7 years old, I'd say the problem is that they won't hold a charge anymore. 6-7 years is better than what the average cart sees with a working OBC so given your situation, I'd say you got some great charge estimation skills! How are you reading those batteries? You should read them at least 10 hours after your charge cycle ends.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
crash test dummy

time for new batteries
Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes, as the others have pointed out. But your plates are still good and taking the charge, the problem is you have sulfated the plates over time and due to several factors: Batteries sitting too long between charges, as little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather. Battery is stored without some type of energy input.... Undercharging of a battery to only 90% of capacity will allow sulfation of the battery using the 10% of battery chemistry not reactivated by not completing the charging cycle. Low water level (battery plates exposed to air will immediately sulfate. The longer a battery sits and is not re-charged, the more damaging sulfation can form on the plates.

But, hey, 7 years is good. I'm over 7 years on mine and still maintaining 50.x volts 12 hours after charging.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
acramer
Not Yet Wild

I did some more dianostics and found that my 1 and 2 batteries after going about 3 miles and lights on are at 7.10 (1 is the battery that has the negative lead from the back of cart), while batteries 5 and 6 are at 8.35 (6 is the battery from the positive lead from the back) why the difference? Also if I going to buy new batteries might as well get a used OBC for my 2001 Club Car. Any good deal out there for a used OBC?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-carts-parts/ is where you can look for a good used OBC.

The other option is to buy a new accusense or smart charger instead of an OBC. It more your choice. I like the OBC and its features, but if mine goes, I may remove the OBC and then replace the charger. Time will tell
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your lights are pulling the #1 and #2 batteries down.
You need a reducer to power your lights and accessories.
I know many folks do it that way but you will fight this issue.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
Your lights are pulling the #1 and #2 batteries down.
You need a reducer to power your lights and accessories.
I know many folks do it that way but you will fight this issue.
Agree. The lights are running off only two of the batteries so there is an imbalance in the pack because two batteries will always be lower than the rest. This reduces the life of the pack (though you did really well to get the age you did out of them). The better solution is to fit a Voltage reducer which inputs the full 48V (or 36V whichever you have) and outputs 12V. That keeps the pack balanced.

Find good ones at Revolution Golf Cars or Carts Unlimited e.g. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
or http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/voltage-reducers
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
acramer
Not Yet Wild

if i swipe 1and 2 with 5 and 6 will that help?
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
swm63
Gone Wild

May help slightly, but you still have a very old, worn out, imbalanced pack.

Probably time to do some battery shopping.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car