lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
tiger275
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Any reason not to use 2g cables

I am in the process of replacing the 4x12v batteries that my cart came with to 6x8v. I plan to replace the cables at the same time. Although I have everything stock on the cart (controller, motor, etc), is there any reason not to go ahead and use 2ga cables to "future proof" it. I just want to make sure that I am not risking any damage.

While I am asking questions, is there any reason not to leave the Yamaha OEM charger (48v 17amp) hooked up all the time when the cart is not in use? Or is it better to just plug it in once a week to top off when not in regular use?
tiger275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Any reason not to use 2g cables

Go for the big wires, no problem. Just be sure to use the correct ends for the controller terminals. Don't bother with the field wires. Just unplug & relug one a week.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
tiger275
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there something special about the controller ends? Mine appear to be standard ring terminal style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171004_204416930.jpg (40.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger275 View Post
Is there something special about the controller ends? Mine appear to be standard ring terminal style.
Not special just make sure they are heavy duty terminal connectors and that they fit of course I have not been happy with those Moric controllers lately in the g29. You must have an older g29 because the neg and a2 terminal is combined
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
tiger275
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
You must have an older g29 because the neg and a2 terminal is combined
Yes, you are correct. As best as I can tell, it is a 2007 model (2007 -YDREE - JW2-000101 mine is JW2-008XXX).

I bought it in 2012. I had the dealer install the headlights, brake lights (just running lights I think) and speed update. Within a few months, the original Trojans 4x12v failed so I replaced them with US Battery 4x12v.

Somewhere along the way, I realized that the dealer who installed the lights never installed a 48v to 12v converter but instead just wired to a single battery and that was contributing to my battery failures (out of balance condition causing the other batteries to over charge all the time). So, now I am replacing the batteries for the second time but switching over to 6x8v at the same time.

I will do a write up of my process and a few additional comments and questions in the next few days. In the mean time, here is are a "sort of" before (had already disconnected most cables) and "not quite done" after (still playing with the layout and need some different cables, etc)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171004_160840742.jpg (347.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171004_214348178.jpg (283.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok so your car is a first year Nice work. Yeah 6 8v volt is definitely a better setup all around. Those dang 12v batteries are not fun to lug around either. I’m pretty surprised a mechanic would just slap the connections on one battery instead of using a reducer and yes it would seriously effect the battery pack.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

if Anyone wants lights installed on a cart at my shop I always stress it needs a reducer or they will be calling soon wondering why they are having battery issues
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
tiger275
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
if Anyone wants lights installed on a cart at my shop I always stress it needs a reducer or they will be calling soon wondering why they are having battery issues
That makes perfect sense. I am about 99.999% confident that I was never asked. I am certain I would have said yes or at least asked a bunch of questions (since I didn't even know what one was until I started reading this board) I still have to trace all the wires to confirm that it is not hidden somewhere but I am not holding a lot of hope.

Here are the connectors that I removed and need to trace. I am pretty certain they are all related to the lights and you can see by the cable lengths that they were set up for single battery use. I just cant figure out (A) what the open connectors are for. It almost looks like it was a loop or perhaps I lost a few cables or something. And (B) why it appears to be designed for two batteries (perhaps the horn or something)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171004_204720247.jpg (293.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The terminals that would correctly fit the Moric terminals don't have 5/16" holes like used for the batteries and solenoid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good point cgtech makes...the controller terminals and ring terminals on the wires are smaller in diameter. They are 10mm bolt heads so they are fairly skinny bolts. If you make your own 2ga cables make sure the terminals you get fit 2ga but have smaller terminal openings. Take a controller bolt out and use it if you need to make sure
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha