lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 ez go 2 stroke slow in forward

So let me begin....
I have tried searching but haven’t found much. I got the cart from a co worker and it ran decent, I did a compression check for shits and giggles and it was around 80 psi, because of this I decided to do a top end rebuild. Piston was trashed and the head was caked with carbon. The head bolts were barely tight. Fast forward a couple hours..... new piston, rings, and cylinder are in and she is running. I made sure port was to carb etc... and had good movement of the piston. I lubricated everything well during assembly.

On to the problem...
It seems like it goes much slower in forward than it does in reverse. After everything that was done.

I also tried to take the clutch off with the oil/ bolt method but the oil just leaked into the clutch housing and I ended up spending quite some time cleaning the internals of the drive clutch to get rid of the oil.

Is it possible that the later issue with the clutch is the problem? Due to the oil? But why would it still move quickly in reverse but not forward.......

I’m stumped
Vorand58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 ez go 2 stroke slow in forward

With the rings I put the bevel side up and “pip” marks up. There was an “R” stamped on the rings.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When it's faster in reverse, than forward, the usual suspects are crankshaft seals.

How fast are we talking? How much difference? Governed speed is 12 mph. Get rid of that junk, and cruise at 18 mph.

Grease is better than oil for removing the clutch. I dropped a brass rod in, and screwed the bolt on top of that.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
When it's faster in reverse, than forward, the usual suspects are crankshaft seals.

How fast are we talking? How much difference? Governed speed is 12 mph. Get rid of that junk, and cruise at 18 mph.

Grease is better than oil for removing the clutch. I dropped a brass rod in, and screwed the bolt on top of that.
Cart around- not too much of a difference but noticeable. I can do the crank seals. Governor is long gone. I’ll measure the depth and get a brass rod from work to try out.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Is it possible to do the flywheel side seal with the engine still in the cart?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorand58 View Post
Is it possible to do the flywheel side seal with the engine still in the cart?
For as quick as the engine comes out, it's not worth the hassle. You need a steering wheel puller, and an impact to yank the flywheel. There isn't a lot of room in there.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
For as quick as the engine comes out, it's not worth the hassle. You need a steering wheel puller, and an impact to yank the flywheel. There isn't a lot of room in there.
Did the crank seals, new clutches, still seems to go slower in forward than revers. There is no governor. It just takes “a while” to get up to speed going forward and almost seems instantaneous going in reverse.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Could it be that since I am running the 40:1 for break in that it is affecting performance? A couple posts I have read said that it will slowly get better. It isn’t horrible now I am probably over thinking it and expecting the cart to be fast.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Do you think it's possible that the brakes are dragging while moving forward?

Find some flat concrete. Remove the belt, and try pushing in both directions. See what you feel.

I would also download a speedometer app so we know exactly what speeds we are dealing with.

I also see that you got the new bolt for your clutch. Glad to hear it.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Vorand58
Not Yet Wild

Brakes aren’t hanging, checked that, wheels rotate freely. I’ll download the app and see where I’m at.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO