lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
bruceleroy
Not Yet Wild

Default 04 Starter/Generator Burning Up

04 Club Car DS. My factory starter burnt the brushes up so I replaced them, then it really blew up and started smoking so bad that it damaged the armature. I bought a new starter and smoked it too. I did some research and it found that a bad voltage regulator can cause this. So I got the company to swap out the starter and I bought a new voltage regulator. Put the new parts in and all was well for about 10 minutes of riding and then it happened again. Starter was making a terrible noise and got really hot. I got it home and haven't looked at it yet due to frustration. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!
bruceleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 04 Starter/Generator Burning Up

Did you buy OEM parts?

If not, buy real parts and problem solved
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
classycarts
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post
04 Club Car DS. My factory starter burnt the brushes up so I replaced them, then it really blew up and started smoking so bad that it damaged the armature. I bought a new starter and smoked it too. I did some research and it found that a bad voltage regulator can cause this. So I got the company to swap out the starter and I bought a new voltage regulator. Put the new parts in and all was well for about 10 minutes of riding and then it happened again. Starter was making a terrible noise and got really hot. I got it home and haven't looked at it yet due to frustration. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!
I'm looking for the same answer.
Is the RPM limiter disconnected and are you driving long distances at high RPM?

And Golf cart guy, don't think that OEM real parts are going to fix his problem.
classycarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
bruceleroy
Not Yet Wild

I did not buy OEM parts. I disconnected the governor but the RPM limiter is still connected. Didn't want to blow it up. I basically drove around the block 2 or 3 times. Hit high speed once. I read somewhere that the generator wire could be grounding out. Looks like the wire is in good shape and still in the wire flex. But I am going to check it to be sure.

Thanks,
Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by classycarts View Post
I'm looking for the same answer.
Is the RPM limiter disconnected and are you driving long distances at high RPM?

And Golf cart guy, don't think that OEM real parts are going to fix his problem.

Ive repaired hundreds of cars with this issue and never has anything like this. Its not rocket science, the Club Car gas cart is the easiest on the planet to fix, charging systems are even easier. And, as it turns out he didn't buy good parts. This isn't my first rodeo and its strange has anytime I see something like this, its due to aftermarket parts. The stuff has gotten worse in the last few years.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #6
classycarts
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Ive repaired hundreds of cars with this issue and never has anything like this. Its not rocket science, the Club Car gas cart is the easiest on the planet to fix, charging systems are even easier. And, as it turns out he didn't buy good parts. This isn't my first rodeo and its strange has anytime I see something like this, its due to aftermarket parts. The stuff has gotten worse in the last few years.
His problem started with the "factory" starter. What do you think caused the starter to blow up and damage the armature after the brushes were replaced?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by classycarts View Post
His problem started with the "factory" starter. What do you think caused the starter to blow up and damage the armature after the brushes were replaced?
Original issue was a voltage regulator charging at 17 plus volts, its a common failure. The bad regulator takes out the starter.

Had the cart been taken to a shop, they would have replaced the regulator and the starter, and that would have been it.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
classycarts
Gone Wild

So what exactly does a volt reg charging at 17 plus volts do to the starter?

Wouldn't it destroy the battery first? Boil out the water?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
bruceleroy
Not Yet Wild

Where is a good place to buy OEM parts?

Thanks,
Old 08-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post
Where is a good place to buy OEM parts?

Thanks,
I get mine from David at Revolution Golf Carts. He is a site sponsor. Good prices, fast shipping, great customer service and knows everything about Club Cars.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brushels, voltage regulator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car