lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Cheap & Easy...

So my cousin didn't know she needed to check the oil on her 2005 DS & ran it until it wouldn't run no more. SMH

I have not even looked at it, but would guess it's junk and probably not worth a rebuild. Someone told her it was seized.

Any recommendations for the easiest cheapest drop in replacement motor? Doesn't need to be above oem performance, just enough to operate a standard 2005 DS with original equipment tires & wheels.

Any recommendations for one that's real cheap with minimal modifications to make it work?

Thanks.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
krtyson08
Not Yet Wild

Default Cheap & Easy...

https://vegascarts.com/

But I just did a rebuild it wasn’t that bad spent maybe $400 with crank rod piston and gaskets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krtyson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Cheap & Easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtyson08 View Post
https://vegascarts.com/

But I just did a rebuild it wasn’t that bad spent maybe $400 with crank rod piston and gaskets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as the counterbalance weight didnt come apart and blow a hole in the back of the motor (which you wouldnt see until you remove the motor unfortunately) ot should be rebuildable. If the cylinder is damaged, you'll have to take it to a machine shop to bore it out, which isnt expensive. They make .25 and .50 overbore rings. You'll just want to make sure to buy OEM rings (contact david hicks at revolution golf cars) and provide the piston AND rings to the machine shop when they bore it out. Theyll match everything up for you. Any machine shop that will bore a cylinder without the piston and rings in hand wont be getting business from me, ever.

Rebuilding is the cheapest option. Crankshaft is usually okay, but you CAN get rods from Kawasaki with smaller journal of the crankshaft has to be machined. Usually the crank is okay though. It's the rod, counterbalance link rod bushings, and cylinder that generally will take the brunt of oil deprivation.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
alwhite00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You'll just want to make sure to buy OEM rings (contact david hicks at revolution golf cars) and provide the piston AND rings to the machine shop when they bore it out. Theyll match everything up for you. Any machine shop that will bore a cylinder without the piston and rings in hand wont be getting business from me, ever.

Why would they need the piston and rings, they make tools to measure the bore nowadays. If it’s to be .050 over just bore & hone to get to the required dimension. Unless the pistons and rings vary that much that they need to be hand fit each time. Have had numerous car engines bored out to the spec dimensions without piston and rings with no issues.
alwhite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

So I found the exploded view of the motor here on buggies, and it doesn't show a rod bearing. Does this thing not have a rod bearing? the bearing is made into the rod itself??? Seems kind of stupid, but it would explain why I was having a hard time finding a source for a rod bearing. lol
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Rod is aluminum and the big end is machined to fit the crank. It doesn’t need a separate bearing because the bearing surface is enormous, and the rod almost never fails. Even with oil starvation, there’s a chance the rod journal is OK. But if it’s toasted the rod needs to be replaced. The crank can be cut down and an undersized rod ordered to fit.
The smaller link rods for the balance weight are likely to need bearings, and the roller bearings on the crank can seize from oil starvation.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, big block, motor swap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car