lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery voltage question

Hey Guys,
My batteries have bit the dust and surprisingly the charger did shortly afterward also. I installed a new 400 amp Alltrax DCX400 controller and a 200amp solenoid HD peak 800 amp a few years ago so my question is, can I and should I go with a 48 volt set up when buying new batteries? Is that possible with this set up? Or do I just need to get another 36 volt set up? Cart is an Ezgo DCS 98 model. Thanks
jchcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery voltage question

The DCX400 will operate at 48V, the solenoid probably won't.

There is a danger of over-revving the motor, but if you don't go downhill with your foot on the floor to see how fast it will go, you'll probably be okay. (Don't ask how I know )
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
jchcart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I’ll have to replace the solenoid, you which one I will need to get by chance? Can you use 12v instead of 8v or will that hurt it?
jchcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As for the solenoid, something similar to what you have now except with a 48V coil instead of 36V. I use a MZJ400 which is the only one I know of that will work at 36V and 48V.

As for the batteries, you can use four 12V batteries (Deep cycle ones, not automotive), but you'll be very disappointed with how far the cart will travel on a single charge, unless all you use it for is driving to the mailbox and back.

A stock 36V battery pack is made up from 6V-225AH batteries and has roughly 8100kWh of energy stored.
A typical 48V battery pack made from 8V-170AH batteries has about 8160kWh of energy stored, so it has roughly the same range as the stock 36V pack.

On the other hand, 12V deep cycle batteries are typically 150AH, so using 12V deep cycle batteries you'll only have 7200kWh stored and significantly less range than you had with the 36V pack.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
As for the solenoid, something similar to what you have now except with a 48V coil instead of 36V. I use a MZJ400 which is the only one I know of that will work at 36V and 48V.

As for the batteries, you can use four 12V batteries (Deep cycle ones, not automotive), but you'll be very disappointed with how far the cart will travel on a single charge, unless all you use it for is driving to the mailbox and back.

A stock 36V battery pack is made up from 6V-225AH batteries and has roughly 8100kWh of energy stored.
A typical 48V battery pack made from 8V-170AH batteries has about 8160kWh of energy stored, so it has roughly the same range as the stock 36V pack.

On the other hand, 12V deep cycle batteries are typically 150AH, so using 12V deep cycle batteries you'll only have 7200kWh stored and significantly less range than you had with the 36V pack.
JB,

What does the lower case 'k' in your numbers above mean? I am not familiar with that representation.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:

JB,

What does the lower case 'k' in your numbers above mean? I am not familiar with that representation.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
JB,

kilo kWh = kilowatt hours.

SI abbreviation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt-hour
Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
kilo kWh = kilowatt hours.

SI abbreviation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt-hour
I am familiar with that KWH. Sorry, it just seemed liked 7200KWH was a lot of energy and maybe that lower case 'k' had a different meaning than with which I am familiar.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I am familiar with that KWH. it just seemed liked 7200KWH was a lot of energy...
Oops!

All of those should have been Watt hours.

Thanks for the catch.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Oops!

All of those should have been Watt hours.

Thanks for the catch.
Actually I started to order me a set of those batteries and then I got to thinking about the charger, LOL.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO