lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 EZGO TXT Noise from rear when off the gas

Hello BGW, I just bought an old EZgo TXT series style cart (2008 ). I am getting a noise from the rear of the cart and it seems to only be when i let off of the gas. During acceleration i dont get any noise, but this is on deceleration and it is pretty loud. The first thing i did was pull the cover off of the diff to see if it had oil in it and it did. I dont see anything wrong with the diff, although i am not sure what i am looking at honestly. No stripped gears or anything that i can tell. The second thing i did was pull the motor to check the input shaft for play. The shaft itself did not have any significant play and the motor coupling looks good from what i can tell. anything else i need to check? i took a few videos of the noise. I took one video of the noise and another of the old motor that seems to have alot of play. does the motor play seem too much? any help is appreciated!!!
btmellberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 EZGO TXT Noise from rear when off the gas

well crap i cant post the videos! it says i have to be a member for 7 days. I tried to post my youtube link but it says no go
Old 04-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

here are pics of the input shaft and motor coupler, do they look worn enough to cause these issues?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1617.jpg (106.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1618.jpg (132.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

anybody? thank you in advance!
Old 04-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Since you already pulled the motor,I would change the coupling.
Noise change when you make a turn when driving?

Next thing to check would be rear axle bearings but typically a”noise when decelerating “ is not a normal symptom.
Jack up rear of cart and check for movement by grabbing wheels checking for in/out or up/down play.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

Well I went ahead and put the cart back together because I am planning on getting a new motor soon anyways. I checked pretty
Much everything I could for excessive play (wheel bearings, input shaft) and everything seems fine. So I went ahead and put 80 weight gear oil in the rear end and buttoned it back up. Funny because the noise is much quieter now. I am wondering if it was the rear end and needed fluid. Anyways thank you for the help ! I know if it is a motor bearing or something that it will go away when I get the new motor which is coming very soon.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmellberg View Post
Well I went ahead and put the cart back together because I am planning on getting a new motor soon anyways. I checked pretty
Much everything I could for excessive play (wheel bearings, input shaft) and everything seems fine. So I went ahead and put 80 weight gear oil in the rear end and buttoned it back up. Funny because the noise is much quieter now. I am wondering if it was the rear end and needed fluid. Anyways thank you for the help ! I know if it is a motor bearing or something that it will go away when I get the new motor which is coming very soon.
The gear on the differential's input shaft is most likely worn and might be the noise source.

Being at the top, it gets little lubrication.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

thanks JohnnyB, is this something that is easily replaceable? I just bought a new controller for the cart and planned on using it for a bit (Alltrax Con SR400) with the stock motor and then I am going to upgrade the motor. I could replace it then if it will last that long!
Old 04-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmellberg View Post
thanks JohnnyB, is this something that is easily replaceable? I just bought a new controller for the cart and planned on using it for a bit (Alltrax Con SR400) with the stock motor and then I am going to upgrade the motor. I could replace it then if it will last that long!
The differential's input shaft is held in by a snap ring and pulls out fairly easily, but may take a little coaxing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
btmellberg
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB, thank you for the help! I will plan on upgrading/replacing this when i get the new motor. Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO