lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Club Car Clutch Rattle

Hey guys I want to bounce something off you. I have a 1990 Club Car (with the 1988+ drive and driven clutches). Been trying to track down a rattle now for a month or so. The rattle seems to occur when the motor is not under load. When I drive up a hill it doesn't hardly rattle, but on flat ground it really shows up.

All my research led me to the culprit being the driven clutch. However after THREE different driven clutches...the rattle still occurs. I even put one of the driven clutches on my other cart, and it doesn't rattle at all, at any speed. So that can't be it.

Then I notice that my DRIVE clutch is not completely raising the belt up to the edge of the sheaves at full rev like it does in my other cart (that doesn't rattle). So I'm guessing that the rattle is related to that. Maybe the buttons are wore out? I have a few local listings that have these clutches for sale so I may grab one.

Think I'm on the right track?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Clutch Rattle

Open it up and see!! It'll be pretty obvious once you're inside.
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ive had a few rattly drive clutches. Ive found its fairly common for the pins that the fly weights rest on come loose and fall out and rattle around in there. Particularly noticeable when you first start or come to a stop.

Could be the bushings or anythjng in there. Should be pretty easy to pull the clutcb and pop the cover off. Once you get in there it should be pretty obvious.

Ive had good luck with the OEM style aftermarket clutches also. They're around $100 shipped. Ive had several of them and never had a problem.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Crack
Gone Wild
Club Car

My 1990 did the same thing I wonder if it’s a balancing issue?
Crack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The weights in the drive clutch are worn out.
Worn buttons normally exhibit a “tink” or “clink” sound when starting.
If the weights are worn they flop around on the pivot shafts while the clutch is spinning and rattle around in there.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
Crack
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If the weights are worn they flop around on the pivot shafts while the clutch is spinning and rattle around in there.
Makes perfect sense!
Crack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The other option is that the bushings in the center bore of the moveable sheave are worn out, so the moveable sheave is rattling on the center shaft of the clutch, but usually everything else will be totally worn out by that point as well. And the clutch sheaves will look all warped and wavy like bacon.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Ive had good luck with the OEM style aftermarket clutches also. They're around $100 shipped. Ive had several of them and never had a problem.
I have as well. My ‘87 has an aftermarket drive clutch on it that I bought in 2013. Still works great.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
My clutch doesn’t have the “tink” at startup. It sounds almost perfectly normal at startup and low speeds. It doesn’t start rattling until you really get going.
Quote:
The other option is that the bushings in the center bore of the moveable sheave are worn out, so the moveable sheave is rattling on the center shaft of the clutch, but usually everything else will be totally worn out by that point as well. And the clutch sheaves will look all warped and wavy like bacon.
This is what I think it may be. It’s an old original Club Car clutch and is likely worn out in many other areas too. The idler bearing that sits in between the sheaves is noisy and worn out, but I don’t think it’s related to my rattle. I don’t have the bacon sheaves though, but I know what you mean and have seen clutches like that.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Does anybody know why the clutch rattles right when its beginning to move? did it on my old DS, does it on my carryall now. its a distinct hollow sounding knock/rattle that occurs right before the clutch engages.

i was amazed when i got a different cart and it made the same noise, i just chalked it up as an FE 290 problem and they all did it. but now i'm not sure
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belt, clutch, drive, driven, rattle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car