lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
truckdriver
Not Yet Wild

Default Removing counter balance

I bought a 93 DS with the fe 290. The engine started to make a lot of knocking sounds. I pulled the engine and sure enough it was the counter balance link rods worn out. I took the rods off and the bearings are worn out. Also one of the journals is slightly concaved. I've seen soon post about leaving the balance out. If I leave it out do I plug the oil holes in the crank for the balance rods? If I leave them open it seems the engine will have low oil pressure. If anyone has done this how did it work? We're there any other side effects besides vibration?
truckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Removing counter balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdriver View Post
I bought a 93 DS with the fe 290. The engine started to make a lot of knocking sounds. I pulled the engine and sure enough it was the counter balance link rods worn out. I took the rods off and the bearings are worn out. Also one of the journals is slightly concaved. I've seen soon post about leaving the balance out. If I leave it out do I plug the oil holes in the crank for the balance rods? If I leave them open it seems the engine will have low oil pressure. If anyone has done this how did it work? We're there any other side effects besides vibration?

I thought the same thing re oil pressure but ran one pretty hard for a good 6 months without the CB weight and had no issues other than a vibration at low speeds. Once you got going it smoothed out pretty quick and wasn't noticeable.

The bushings for the link rods and the link rods themselves are replaceable on the 290 however, as long as the crankshaft isn't wrecked. Those cranks are pretty tough

Note that you do need a shop press to remove the gear and get the front CB link rod out. Not hard with a press but I dont think you're gonna do it without one.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
truckdriver
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Removing counter balance

Thanks for the info. I already got the rods off. I was curious with the open holes the oil pressure would be to low.
truckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car