lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Best lithium cart?

I haven’t decided on pulling the trigger or not yet... but...

Here’s the question. I have a 2008 DS IQ 48v. Looks good, drives great, back seat, etc. no issues good batteries.

I also just picked up a 2004 48V DS Series cart. Great shape, completely stock. I’ve gotten it to move so it’s mechanically good but batteries are junk.

Which is a better platform for a lithium upgrade? Series or IQ? I plan to strip both down over winter and make both nice. But because one needs batteries I am seriously considering swapping one to lithium and putting my good batteries in the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6C13AE1-CD20-485D-AC17-4AE9169DE1A6.jpg (323.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Best lithium cart?

I'm not the expert, but I believe 48 volts is 48 volts. You will see better performance with lithium (whichever cart you put it in).
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I'm not the expert, but I believe 48 volts is 48 volts. You will see better performance with lithium (whichever cart you put it in).
Agreed on that point. I’m just not sure if a series platform or sepexis better. I’ve got a speed magnet so regen braking is disabled
Old 11-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

One 48v weighs 350 lbs and the other 48v weighs 65lbs.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I built my GC, I did some research into this. It has been long enough now, that I have forgotten quite a bit. It may have been advice as to best system for a hunting GC as opposed to lithium over LA. So hopefully a true guru will chime in.

I turned a gas DS into a lithium. So all new electrical and drive components were needed. I was told that a sepex system would be best and that an IQ system would be the preferred setup. Again, I would wait for a guru to chime in on this...

Sergio has helped many on here with all sorts of electrical questions and lithium specific questions. I would recommend reading through this thread: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302 , to get a good understanding of lithium. Maybe you could ask your question on there if he does not respond to this thread.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

If one of the two DS has 12V batteries with a rectangle battery area, it is the best because you can install a double leaf pack in that cart. If a 6-8V cart the center section is angled and will only take a single pack unless splitting it.

Double pack tub that had 4-12V batts is first pic, 2nd pic - Double pack installed. 3rd is cart that had 6-8V and can only hold a single pack in center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200901_185128155.jpg (315.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200905_090923053 1.jpg (299.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_160148613.jpg (314.7 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks for the responses :) the 2008 is a 4x12v setup.

I guess more specifically I was curious as to if the IQ or Series setup is better for a conversion, or if there advantages or disadvantages to either, or if it really doesn’t make any difference at all. I’m still reading about it all, lot of little things to consider. But main things seem to be the BMS and use that to trigger a relay to kill the key switch or something to disable the cart in an over voltage or under voltage condition. Otherwise the rest appears to be pretty straight forward.

Biggest thing I wonder about is the series runs a lot of current through the FNR switch and sepex is all handled in the controller. Either one would get an alltrax, but is there a difference or advantage in the series vs sepex motors?
Old 12-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
If one of the two DS has 12V batteries with a rectangle battery area, it is the best because you can install a double leaf pack in that cart. If a 6-8V cart the center section is angled and will only take a single pack unless splitting it.

Double pack tub that had 4-12V batts is first pic, 2nd pic - Double pack installed. 3rd is cart that had 6-8V and can only hold a single pack in center.
Hey Gary!!!
What's measurement for the bottom plate on the 4-12 setup?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car