lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
sporty2k
Not Yet Wild

Default Space between Lithium Battery Terminals?

When making a 14S lithium pack with Nissan Leaf cells the positive and negative terminal points are at opposite ends of of the pack, about 23 inches apart. For convenience purposes I want to run the terminal points, using 2 gauge wire, to the same side of the pack and terminate each on a junction block on the short side of the battery (13 inches). Is there a reason why, other than the potential for a wrench to touch both pos and neg at the same time, that these posts cant be right next to each other?
sporty2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Space between Lithium Battery Terminals?

I like to keep the positive and negative far apart just for the reason you mentioned. You do not want to have any chance of shorting them together. Other than that, there is no reason they have to be separated.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can't configure the modules to have them both come out at the same end, whether 7 modules or 14. 7P2S pack shown in 1st picture. Bus bars and tap harness for 7 modules in 2nd pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200811_173253786.jpg (338.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200822_150600695.jpg (313.7 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Why don't you consider installing an Anderson Quick Disconnect? Someone will likely chime in with the model you need. These are not expensive items and will do the job you want when you simply want to disconnect the pack power.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

What Dave Said above... Here's what the end of my packs look like with the 175A Anderson mounted on positive end of pack. The 4 terminals accommodate connection to the charger and the DC Converter. When assembling the pack, the last connection to the pack is the #2 from the Anderson along with the #10 from terminal block. No chance of shorting anything out.

The middle two terminals are jumpered Pack +. The top two terminals are for the charger connection, Black goes to the BMS B- connection. For the charger, I hang about a 6" long tail with Anderson connector. Allowing the charger an easy disconnect. The bottom terminals are for the DC converter. I use a #12 Black/Red connector from Amazon for this connection. The other end of the Black/Red connector is mated to the DC conv. Also connected here is a #10 Pack- to the bottom black.

I use the Blue 5 wire DC converter. Black and Yellow go the terminals, Red goes to the Pos + of the fuse panel. Green to the KS on connection. Blue - just put a red butt splice on it unless needed. The lower black terminal has the #10 to the fuse panel connected. When all prewiring is the battery tub is completed, just drop the pack in and plug everything in and connect the Black #10 from terminal to fuse panel. This setup is needed when installing in an RXV or TXT. When I install in a Precedent, I pickup the B- to the fuse panel from the B- at the controller, because it is closer. Precedent shown in last picture

I caution Anyone looking for Anderson connectors not to purchase from Amazon unless you can see Anderson on the connector in the picture. Otherwise it is a cheap Chinese KO. The thickness of the barrel on the crimp section of the CKO, is half the thickness of real Anderson. This thin material does not give me the warm and fuzzy of a good crimp. I would guess the CKO takes about 1/4 - 1/3 of the pressure to crimp it over true Anderson. I may pay a little more but I purchase them from Mouser Electronics.

Two drawings attached. The first one I use all the time. The second is my drawing with Sergio relay mods. He has seen the drawing and approved it as drawn. They are 11x17 size.

Well. wasn't that a little long-winded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180328_172336651.jpg (260.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180404_132126567_LL.jpg (345.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180406_175432657 - Copy.jpg (334.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium 7 Cell Pack w Bluetooth- Tap Harness.pdf (119.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Lithium 7 Cell Pack w Bluetooth - Tap Harness & Sergio Mod.pdf (272.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Well. wasn't that a little long-winded
Ha HA Ha!!!.....Not at all!! A great informative post!! Nice work!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Great, clean work PingEye3, thanks for sharing that.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car