lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Max discharge cut-offs

Question for you guys. I just bought a Roypow S51105 for my 96' Club Car DS. Stock motor/controller.

While I have no immediate plans to upgrade the motor or controller, the thought has crossed my mind about going to an A/C setup maybe 5 years from now.

I know you can set the Navitas and possibly the Alltrax to limit the draw to the max output from the battery and live a pretty good life without shutdowns.

That being said, and knowing that my battery has the 200A limit, would there be any way to add an inline bank of supercapacitors to allow the controllers to draw higher as needed? Not sure if the cost to set that up with it's own safety features would make it just as expensive?

Also, as I am not the most edjubacated in this area, even if I do upgrade at some point, I do not think I will want the cart to go over 25 mph simply due to safety (WOD), nor would my Wife ever ride on it, so not sure the limit would ever become an issue in my case anyways?
bzlytbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Max discharge cut-offs

The short answer is NO.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Well, while it might be a "NO" to your specific question, there are people who bypass the BMS for discharge and use it only to charge, as an "Active balancer", so the 200a limit would no longer apply. You'd want to reach out to the RoyPow folks, however, to discuss what that would do to the warranty and then make your decision from there.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Also, I was looking at the Evolution battery from ExtremeTeam, and the specs say the battery is limited to 100A max discharge, but the BMS has max discharge rate of 350A (5sec) to allow 150A more for 5 seconds. Does the BMS have some sort of capacitor system to store and discharge more than the battery itself?

I'm just lost as to where those extra 150A can come from if the battery says it cannot do so, or am I missing something kinda like cold cranking amps, and the BMS limits that allowable spike from the battery at initial startup? Why would that be able to happen again when you got to a hill, or is the battery itself more than capable of putting out more amperage and in the specs they only state the max (sustained) discharge rate?

Sorry, for the questions and thanks!
Old 03-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Well, while it might be a "NO" to your specific question, there are people who bypass the BMS for discharge and use it only to charge, as an "Active balancer", so the 200a limit would no longer apply. You'd want to reach out to the RoyPow folks, however, to discuss what that would do to the warranty and then make your decision from there.
I actually thought about that - at that 5 year mark, my warranty would be null anyways. I fi modified the BMS to do what you mentioned above, I would still have to add in another safety to pick up where the BMS would no longer (say 350A for 5 seconds).

Would probably be better off just re-wiring the battery with a different BMS that can allow a higher draw for short bursts.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There are no capacitors big enough to do what you suggest. The battery is made to discharge more than it's rating for brief bursts. You need to get a battery with enough current and capacity rating for your needs. There is no magic way around that.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok. I Thanks guys. This is all without me even having the new battery plugged in and tried on the cart. I may be completely satisfied as is. Plus, the speed limit in town is only 20mph, so the overkill probably wouldn't be worth the money. But hey, anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car