lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Semperfi91
Not Yet Wild

Tomberlin

Default Can someone tell me what this is?

I'm very new at the whole golf cart troubleshooting and fixing things so please bear with me.

I have a 1985 Club Car. It currently jerks when stepping on the gas pedal in reverse or forward.

Here is what I've done to trouble shoot:

- Jacked the back end of the cart up so the wheels were off the ground
- grabbed a multi-meter
- pushed the pedal in until I heard the first click and tested the first solenoid (closest to the drivers side).
- received a reading of 36v or so
- pushed the pedal in until I heard the second click and tested the next solenoid.
- received the same reading on the multi-meter with the 2nd one and so on and so on for all 5 solenoids.

I have this little box attached to the side next to the solenoids that has a red and white cable coming out of it (see pic). The white cable is connected to the 5th solenoid (farthest away from driver). The red cable is just hanging out not connected to anything. Is that red cable suppose to be connected to anything?

I hope that it's not the micro-switch that is causing the jerking motion cuz I heard those are kinda pricey.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02076.JPG (53.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02078.JPG (46.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02077.JPG (96.7 KB, 15 views)
Semperfi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Little box is reverse buzzer. Sounds like 1 or more of the solenoids aren`t engaging. That will cause the jerky takeoff. Push down on the pedal and listen for the clicks. how many clicks till it jerks? That should tell you which solenoid is bad.I would say #3 or #4 That is counting from the drivers side.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

With the rear axles on jack stands and the tires up off of the floor. The first click is the Master solenoid closest to the driver's side. It powers up the solenoid circuit. The cart should begin to rotate the rear tires on the second click, faster on the third click etc. Micros are $3.80 and the solenoids are $34 There is a micro for each solenoid in the little silver box under the driver's seat. If you can it is best to replace all of the solenoids at once when they start to go. They are 20+ yrs old and fire each time you hit the peddle = a worn out bunch. Your's look cooked? Replace one and 2 months later you are back at it replacing another? Some Co. offer a deal on all 5.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Semperfi91
Not Yet Wild

Tomberlin

Thank you both for your replies. That little box must be the reverse signal box as I do not have a buzzer when in reverse.

Also, I moved the solenoids around (moved the 2nd to the 3rd spot, 3rd to the 4th spot, 4th to the 5th and 5th to the 2nd). Still not a smooth take off or in reverse. I'm going to just replace all 5 and see where it goes from there and not put too much money into it as it gets my from tee to green just fine.

Thanks again for the replies.
Semperfi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car