lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
ccwilly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Another differential question

Got the outside all cleaned off. Looks like a new one now. When I pulled the motor off it looked like slimmy grease and oil all around the bearing and end plate of the motor. After further investigation, I pulled the 2 drain plugs out of the bottom, the oil level plug out of the side, it was so covered up I didn't know it was there. It must have had gear oil in it because it barely drained out. In another post OLD MEC said it should have 30W. Question, can I flush just the diff out or do the axles need pulled out also? Don't know if there are seals between diff and axle housing. It's an 83 CC. The dealer I got it off of gave me a 9 month warranty on diff and motor.
ccwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Another differential question

It really sounds like some one put the lub into the wrong port ( Differential vent?? ) that would cause the external AND INTERNAL MESS you are talking about? As I stated I always use 30 weight motor oil in Electric carts and I add that I use 80-90 gear oil in Gas carts only. I dont have a chart showing what lub was used in early carts like your but feel safe in using motor oil? Gear oils have different propertys that may or may not be compatiable with some bushings and bearings??? Some fellows use gear oil in ALL differentials?
If unit is warrenteed I would go by his dirrections as HE IS who stands behind the unit. Then IF he has no doubt I would just drain all lub possible out of unit and ( CHECK FOR METAL PARTICLES OR GEAR PIECES ) then refill with motor oil and run it for awhile and then drain it again and refill. DO NOT FILL ABOVE THE BOTTOM OF FILL PLUG HOLE. NO you do not have to pull axles as the seals are near brake backing plates. The whole assembly is lubed so it should clean out whole insides EXCEPT FOR MOTOR AREA.
Hope this helps and good luck with your cart.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
ccwilly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks old mec. i plan to flush and fill with 30w. you keep talking about the vent, i dont see anything like vents on other diffs. the one drain plug had a small magnet on it. looked real clean. any idea what make this diff might be? the model #is NBO 1P 007 i think the old bifocals aren't what they used to be
ccwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The vent is usually near the top of differential near where motor mounts and is a tin cup shaped unit that in most cases is threaded into case INVERTED OVER a bolt head like unit.
Have no idea what the 1982 differential manufacturer was? Maybe some one on this site can fill you in on that? HELP ANYONE??
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car